The summer study program in Costa Rica allows students from any major to complete six credits in a beginning, intermediate, or advanced proficiency Spanish course (SPA 102; 201/202; 300), while exploring three different cities.
SPA 102; 201/202; 300: Summer Study in Costa Rica
About the Program:
This four-week summer program is offered to students in any major who have an interest in broadening their Spanish language and Hispanic cultural knowledge. You can earn six credits with this beginning, intermediate, or advanced proficiency Spanish language course that will apply toward a major or minor in Spanish. Students will also fulfill the Intercultural Competence with a Focus on Language and Cultural Immersion, and Immersive Experience Constellation requirements. The four-credit Spanish language classes will be led by Costa Rican professors, while an LVC Spanish professor will teach a two-credit companion culture course. Students live with different Costa Rican host families over the four-week program duration in three different cities: Flamingo, Monteverde, and San Joaquin de Flores.
- Students from any major who are in good social and academic standing (2.5 GPA) may apply.
- There are no course prerequisites. Spanish language course levels will be determined by a Spanish language placement test.
- The course combines a four-hour daily classroom instruction with cultural activities, field trips, and community engagement.
- Students live with host families who will provide breakfast and dinner.
- Scholarship funding is available for this program.