We plan to run this program in Summer 2022.
SPA 102; 201/202; 300: Summer Study in Costa Rica
This four-week summer program is offered to students in any major who have an interest in broadening their Spanish language and Hispanic cultural knowledge. You can earn six credits with this beginning, intermediate, or advanced proficiency Spanish language course that will apply toward a major or minor in Spanish. Students will also fulfill the Intercultural Competence with a Focus on Language and Cultural Immersion, and Immersive Experience Constellation requirements. The four-credit Spanish language classes will be led by Costa Rican professors, while an LVC Spanish professor will teach a two-credit companion culture course. Students live with different Costa Rican host families over the four-week program duration in three different cities: Flamingo, Monteverde, and San Joaquin de Flores.
- Students from any major who are in good social and academic standing (2.5 GPA) may apply.
- There are no course prerequisites. Spanish language course levels will be determined by a Spanish language placement test.
- The course combines a four-hour daily classroom instruction with cultural activities, field trips, and community engagement.
- Students live with host families who will provide breakfast and dinner.
- Scholarship funding is available for this program.
Program cost for Summer 2022 is estimated at $4,000 and includes:
- Tuition (6 credits)
- Housing with a Spanish-speaking homestay
- Breakfast and dinner with a Spanish-speaking homestay
- Lunch at the school
- Excursions and cultural activities
- Foreign emergency medical insurance
Airfare/travel and personal expenses are not included in the program cost.
Study abroad programs that are 6 credits may be eligible for limited financial aid. For additional information regarding summer financial aid, please read the Summer Financial Aid Application instructions on the financial aid webpage. If you would like to apply for summer aid, you must complete the application and submit it to the Financial Aid Office.
July 17–August 13
Application Deadline: February 1
- Applications must be accompanied by a deposit payment of $200 (non-refundable after February 1).
- Remaining balance is due March 15
Planned excursions include:
- Arenal Volcano: hot water springs and lava flows
- Latin dance classes
- Flamingo beach area