We are excited to announce the expansion of our successful Dutchmen First program designed to support first-generation students through their transition to college and provide helpful resources throughout their college journey.
First-generation students in years 1, 2, or 3 are eligible for the Dutchmen First program. A first-generation college student is a student whose parent(s)/legal guardian(s) have not completed a bachelor’s degree.
*Please note that you are still considered a first-generation student even if you have a sibling(s) who earned a degree(s).
Eligible first-generation students participating in the Dutchmen First programs and workshops will receive a $500 scholarship per year.
- Maintain good academic and financial standing.
- Participate in / Complete 100% of Dutchmen First workshops in each semester.
- Additional workshop options are available for schedule conflicts (athletes and extracurricular activities).
- Participate in one 1:1 or small group meeting with an Academic Success Coach. 1:1 meetings are available at the request of the student.
- Participation will be tracked on Canvas. Attendance and short reflections are considered participation.
- Students are eligible for participation in years 1, 2, and 3 of enrollment at LVC.
- Dutchmen First will offer monthly workshops on a variety of topics that are strategically timed to ensure students receive continued support throughout the semester. Additionally, each cohort will have programming specifically tailored to their academic progress.
- In addition to the informative workshops, de-stress activities and social drop-ins will be held throughout the semester to build a sense of community.
- Service and volunteer opportunities are planned for each semester. Students can give back to local schools, non-profit organizations, and neighborhood communities.
- Providing resources, education, and support for first-gen students to develop healthy and productive habits.
- A $500 scholarship can be earned in years 1, 2, and 3 for active engagement in the Dutchmen First program.
- Develop a support network and resources to assist in a smooth transition to college and look to build a path to continued success.
- Dutchmen First workshops will not only provide tools to current first-gen students but also ensure that future generations of their families will have the tools to be successful.
Registration and More Info
If you are interested in the Dutchmen First Program, complete the registration form.
For questions, contact Chad Schell, LVC’s Academic Success Coach, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-867-6799.