The modern band curriculum is designed to engage all students in a K–12 setting. This pedagogy will turn your music classroom into an immersive, inclusive and student-centered learning environment.
This 12-credit graduate certificate is offered online, and culminates with a two-week summer residency focusing on putting into practice the modern band pedagogy through performance and teaching.
Stay Ahead of the Curve in Music Education
LVC was the innovator by offering the first graduate-level certificate in modern band. The modern band curriculum is cost effective for school districts to
implement, and it instantly enhances a teacher’s classroom practice.
Our Modern Band Certificate can be obtained as a stand-alone certificate or as part of Lebanon Valley College’s Master of Music Education or Master of Education programs.
All graduate education courses receive Pennsylvania Department of Education’s ACT 48 continuing education credits.
- Modern Band teaches students to play, perform, improvise and compose using popular genres that the students themselves select.
- It creates a new kind of music classroom.
- Students are making music quickly.
Why teach modern band?
- The modern band method complements existing classroom practices and is easy to incorporate into lesson plans.
- Familiar music helps students learn how to play instruments quickly and hear their own progress.
- Modern band is inclusive and reaches all students, instead of only those students who selectively join ensembles or take lessons.
- Since it draws on popular music, modern band capitalizes on the music students already know and love to engage them in the process of learning and making music.
- Complete an online application.
- Upload or send your résumé and personal statement.
- Provide official transcripts from your undergraduate college or university showing a recommended minimum college GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Bachelor’s degree required to begin coursework.
Application materials can be uploaded in the Graduate Application Portal, submitted to email@example.com, or mailed to:
Lebanon Valley College
101 N. College Ave.
Annville, PA 17003