Summer Research Opportunity
Applications are now open for Summer 2022.
The Biology Department at LVC is happy to offer Research First, a program that provides opportunities for incoming LVC freshmen to work with college faculty/student research teams during the summer before their freshman year of college. This 40 hours per week immersion experience in scientific research provides opportunities to learn many new laboratory techniques. Based on high school records and experience, we will select a limited number of incoming LVC freshmen for this program.
As a Research First student, you will become involved in challenging and interesting research areas that include:
- examining the effects of different compounds on cell cycle regulation in various cell lines,
- investigating how iron deficiency alters serotonin, dopamine, and adenosine signaling in animals,
- studying the impact invasive plants have on their environment,
- mapping the evolutionary history of expansin genes in conifers,
- exploring the impact of human activity (e.g. natural gas extraction) on bird communities,
- uncovering novel information about human papillomavirus (HPV) transcriptional regulation and evolution,
- analyzing the immunotoxicology of nanomaterials.
We will teach you everything you need to know to do meaningful research in the laboratory. You will learn much and get to know science students and faculty at LVC, all before you begin college in the fall!
If you match the profile given below, we encourage you to apply for Research First. In our selection process for this program, we will be looking for students who:
- Will graduate in the top 20% of their class
- Have strong high school backgrounds in science and mathematics
- Scored 1200 or greater combined on the SAT math and verbal exams
- Have an innate sense of curiosity and a genuine interest in discovery research
Acceptances are made each year on a rolling basis. Questions? Call Dr. Wally Patton at 717-867-6827.
*While we continue to monitor the constantly evolving COVID pandemic, our plans for Summer 2022 are for face-to-face research experiences, as were held successfully during Summer 2021. During Research First, you can spend up to four full weeks during June and July working on discovery research in one of our groups, receive room and board while staying at the College, and receive a weekly stipend.