Languages Mission, Goals, and Objectives
The mission of the Languages Department at Lebanon Valley College is to foster the study of languages and cultures and to invite students to discern, understand, and respect other cultures, as well as their own. We endeavor to prepare students to successfully engage with a diverse, multicultural, and multilingual world in their places of employment, graduate school, and their communities. Further, faculty members in the department model scholarship and make contributions through our own research in the areas of literature, linguistics, language acquisition, pedagogy, cross-cultural studies, and related fields.
Languages Department Goals and Objectives
- Understand the cultural diversity of the Hispanic / Francophone / German-speaking world and apply that awareness across the curriculum, in the target language, at the appropriate level.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the depth and complexity of cultural diversity and differences between the home and target culture.
- Analyze texts and other cultural productions in their historical, social, and/or political context and identify how they transmit values.
- Display and/or explain cultural behavior appropriate to the language and cultures of study indirect and mediated communication.
- Synthesize learning from within and outside the study of Spanish / French / German in order to develop a global view of the discipline and to apply acquired knowledge, skills, and values beyond LVC.
- Explain and analyze relationships between the products and practices of the target culture and the global systems in which they participate.
- Analyze how products and practices of the target culture intersect with other disciplines (e.g. business, education, health, history, political science, sociology, etc.).
- Apply communicative skills in the cultural, social, economic, political, and intellectual life of multilingual communities at home or abroad.
- Demonstrate proficiency in Spanish / French / German on the Internet. High level.
- Demonstrate speaking proficiency in the target language on the Intermed. High level.
- Demonstrate listening proficiency in the target language on the Intermed. High level.
- Demonstrate writing proficiency in the target language on the Intermed. High level.
- Demonstrate reading proficiency in the target language on the Intermed. High level.