Service Recognition & Reporting
Students who meet one of the following criteria during their enrollment are presented the Gold Service Award which includes receipt of a certificate and a special pin that may be worn on the graduate’s robe at commencement. Additionally, recipients are encouraged to note this achievement on their Handshake profile so that potential employers may be made aware of their commitment to the community and civic engagement.
To earn the award a student must complete one of the following:
- 100+ hours of community service AND at least one service trip
- 250+ hours of service with at least 100 hours taking place in the community
Phi Alpha Epsilon (the Greek initial letters of the words, “lover of learning and finder of truth”), the College’s honor society, was established in 1935 and recognizes undergraduate academic achievement and service to others. To be eligible for this award, students must achieve a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.600, complete at least 45 credits of coursework at LVC, and achieve the “bronze” level of service hours (as determined by the Office of Service and Volunteerism) after the fall semester before graduation. Inductees are formally welcomed into the society at a spring banquet.
Any hours completed as part of a group (i.e. student organization, team, class) should be reported in mass by a designated representative of the group by emailing Jen Liedtka, Coordinator of Service and Volunteerism, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The emails should include:
- Date of project
- A description of the project
- Name of the organization or cause benefitting from the service
- Name of student group/organization/team completing the service
- Names of each individual student participant
- Number of hours served by each participant (in increments no smaller than a ¼ hour)
Any hours completed by the student individually should be reported via MyLVC as follows:
- Go to: http://portal.lvc.edu/mylvc
- Click on My Info for Students
- After logging in, click on Report Service Hours
- Using the reporting tool, input new hours and also view previously reported hours
For an updated copy of LVC’s Service Hour Guidelines, please contact the Office at email@example.com.
Award recognition and hour verification are based solely upon those hours reported to the Office through the processes listed above. Only service hours completed during the academic year (or in association with College-planned projects over the summer) and that meet the College’s guidelines may be reported.