Montgomery GI Bill – Ch 33

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days of service. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their education benefits to their dependents.

View more information regarding the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, including instructions on how to apply for the benefit.



To be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, a service member must meet the following:

  • Served at least 90 days or more of active duty (aggregate) or 30 days or more (continuous) on or after September 11, 2001. Benefits are paid on a sliding scale (see table below under “Benefit Payments”) determined by length of active duty service.
  • Individuals who are discharged due to a service-connected disability must have served 36 months (cumulative) or 30 days (continuous) of active duty.
  • Reservists and National Guard members must have 36 months of cumulative active duty service on or after September 11, 2001.


Benefit Payments

Months of Active Duty Percent of Benefits (Tuition, Books, Supplies, Living)
36 cumulative months 100%
30 continuous days and discharge due to a service connected disability 100%
30 cumulative months < 36 months 90%
24 cumulative months < 30 months 80%
18 cumulative months < 24 months 70%
12 cumulative months <18 months 60%
6 cumulative months < 12 months 50%
90 days < 6 months 40%


Tuition and fees are paid directly to the school on behalf of the student. For the 2017-2018 academic year, tuition and fees at private institutions of higher learning are capped at $22,805.34 per year. If a student is attending a private institution that is more expensive than the cap and is entitled to 100% of the Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefit, he or she may be eligible for additional payment under the Yellow Ribbon Program (see below).

  • $1,000 annual stipend for books and supplies paid directly to the student proportionately based on the student’s enrollment.
  • Monthly housing allowance (MHA) equal to the basic housing allowance amount payable to E-5 with dependents in the same zip code as the school. The MHA is paid directly to the student. Students enrolled half-time or less or that are on active duty or are the spouse of an active duty member are not eligible for any MHA.
  • Up to $100 per month (12 month maximum) for tutoring if certified as necessary by the instructor.
  • A one-time $500 relocation/travel assistance grant for those living in a rural area (a county with fewer than 7 persons per square mile) or who must relocate at least 500 miles to attend school.


Yellow Ribbon Program

Lebanon Valley College participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which allows colleges and universities to voluntarily cover up to half the amount of tuition and fees that exceed the highest in-state public school tuition for that state. The VA matches that same amount so that the full cost of private college tuition may be met. The combination of the match from the VA and from the school may not exceed the school’s tuition and fees. Students participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) according to the College’s SAP policy in order to be eligible to receive Yellow Ribbon Program matching payments.

Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements detailed in the table above) or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty servicemembers and their spouses are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program (child transferees of active duty servicemembers may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100% rate).

Please be advised that Lebanon Valley College has an annual Yellow Ribbon payment cap. Any charges that exceed the Yellow Ribbon cap that are incurred by the student due to registering for more than 17 credits must be covered by the student and/or other forms of financial aid. For more information regarding the Yellow Ribbon cap in terms of overload charges, students should contact the Office of Financial Aid (

View more information regarding the Yellow Ribbon Program.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Check out more information about education benefits offered by VA.