Grading Systems and Grade Point Averages

Undergraduate Grades

Student work is graded A (excellent), B (good), C (satisfactory), D (requirements and standards met a minimum level), or F (course requirements not met). For each credit hour in a course, students receive the following quality points:

A 4.00 C 2.00
A- 3.67 C- 1.67
B+ 3.33 D+ 1.33
B 3.00 D 1.00
B- 2.67 D- 0.67
C+ 2.33 F 0.00

F carries no credit or quality points, but grades of F are used in calculating the grade point averages. The cumulative grade point average is calculated by dividing the quality points by the credit hours completed. Candidates for a degree must obtain a cumulative grade point average of 2.000 and a major grade point average of 2.000. Additional majors and any minors also require a 2.000 grade point average. A student may not take a course that has a prerequisite course they have failed.

Students may elect to take courses pass/fail, subject to the pass/fail policy (see above) and receive grades of P (pass), PH (pass with honors, equivalent to a B+ or higher), or F (fail). Some courses are graded solely on a pass/fail basis, with an option for PH for superior work in the judgment of the instructor. Zero credit courses are graded on an S (satisfactory)/U (unsatisfactory) basis. Some zero credit courses may award a grade of NG (Not Graded) to indicate that a grade is not given or the grade is incorporated in another course (e.g., lab/lecture courses). Grades of P, PH, S, U, or NG do not carry quality points and do not impact grade point averages.

Graduate Grades

Student work is graded A, A–, B+, B, B–, C+, C, and F. Graduate courses may also award grades of C-, D+, D, and D- to undergraduate students; courses with such grades will be considered at the undergraduate level only and will not satisfy graduate program requirements. Graduate grades hold the same quality points as undergraduate grades.

Graduate students may not elect to take courses pass/fail, though some graduate courses are graded pass/fail solely.

Incomplete and Withdrawal Grades

In addition to the above grades, the symbols I, IP, and W are used for undergraduate and graduate students.

I indicates that the work is incomplete (certain required work postponed by the student for a substantial reason with the prior consent of the instructor) but otherwise satisfactory. This work must be completed within the first four weeks of the end of the course or the I will be converted to an F. Instructors may set an earlier deadline. Appeals for an extension of the incomplete grade past the four-week period must be approved by the instructor and presented to the registrar before the incomplete due date. Extensions of incompletes for graduate students also require the prior approval of the program director.

IP (in progress) is a temporary grade for certain courses that have not concluded by the end of the term.

W indicates withdrawal from a course after the add/drop period through the 10th week of a 15-week semester or, for other course lengths, during the first two-thirds of the course, except for undergraduate students in their first semester at LVC (or, for accelerated courses, in their first session) who may withdraw through the last day of a course.

Grade Changes

Once a grade has been recorded, it may not be changed without the approval of the instructor and the registrar. Students who feel the grade may be inaccurate must contact the instructor within 30 days from the end date of the course in question.