Associate Professor of Chemistry
Office Location: Neidig-Garber 426
- IRES: U.S.-Hungarian Research on Harvesting Light Energy for Redox Chemistry and Biosensors. National Science Foundation, Office of International, and Integrative Activities (NSF-OII). $177,789 from Sept. 1, 2014 to Aug. 31, 2017.
- RUI: Synthesis of Unnatural Amino Acids using Fmoc-protected N,O-Acetals. National Science Foundation, Department of Chemistry, Research at Undergraduate Institutions (NSF-CHM). $144,374 from May 1, 2010 to April 30, 2013.
- Diastereomeric Interactions as Stereocontrol Elements in Reactions of Chiral, Trifluoromethyl-containing Molecules. American Chemical Society, Division of Fluorine Chemistry Moissan Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF). $3,500 summer stipend for student Nick Boaz, March 2009.
- Project-based LC-MS Experiments at the Interface of Chemistry and Biology. National Science Foundation, Department of Undergraduate Education (NSF-DUE), Course, Curriculum, and Laboratory Improvement program (CCLI) for $149,999 from Feb. 15, 2008 to Jan. 31, 2011 (Owen A. Moe and Walter Patton, co-principal investigators).
- Direct synthesis of Fmoc-protected amines via acyl iminium chemistry. Research Corporation Cottrell College Science Award. $43,758 from June 1, 2006 to May 31, 2008.
*In December 2006, the award was designated as the Brian Andreen Cottrell College Science Award, with an additional $3000 of unrestricted funding.
undergraduate co-authors denoted with *
Design and application of diimine-based copper(i) complexes in photoredox catalysis. Tamás Földesi, Gellért Sipos, Réka Adamik, Bálint Nagy, Balázs L. Tóth, Attila Bényei, Krisztina J. Szekeres, Győző G. Láng, Attila Demeter, Timothy J. Peelen, Zoltán Novák. Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2019, 17, 8343–8347.
Catalytic Asymmetric Ketene [2+ 2] and [4+ 2] Cycloadditions. Scott G. Nelson, Robert D. Dura, Timothy J. Peelen. Organic Reactions (2013), 82:2:1–152.
Addition of Carbon-based Nucleophiles to Ester-substituted, Fmoc-protected N,O-Acetals as a Method for the Synthesis of -Amino Acids. Mark D. Thomas*, Kenneth F. Potter II*, Adam M. Shipe*, Adam D. Wier*, Timothy J. Peelen. Journal of Undergraduate Chemistry Research, 2010, 9, 81-86.
Activation of Fmoc-Protected N,O-Acetals Using Trimethylsilyl Halides: Mechanistic and Synthetic Studies. Nicholas C. Boaz*, Nathaniel C. Bair*, Thanh T. Le*, Timothy J. Peelen. Organic Letters, 2010, 12, 2464–2467.
Addition of Carbon-based Nucleophiles to Fmoc-protected Acyl Iminium Ions. Alison E. Hartman*, Cheryl L. Brophy*, Julia A. Cupp*, Daniel K. Hodge*, Timothy J. Peelen. Journal of Organic Chemistry, 74, 3952–3954