Assistant Professor of Exercise Science
Office Location: AHPP 210
Dr. Alan Walker, assistant professor of exercise science and a certified strength and conditioning specialist, wants to give students in the Exercise Science program and the new M.S. in Exercise Science—Sport Performance degree program a sports science edge.
His current research focuses on working with select LVC athletic teams and is a prime example of how Dr. Walker balances strength and conditioning testing with scientific methods. By tracking performance metrics and training demands on LVC athletes, Dr. Walker can make recommendations to their coaches to optimize training to maximize performance. His previous research examined how season-long training loads affected physiological responses in male and female soccer players. He used this data to evaluate the sex-specific response to the stresses of a collegiate season. This data was used to evaluate the sex-specific response to the stresses of a collegiate season. Dr. Walker feels confident that the students, coaches, and athletes will see the value of having an in-house CSCS. with a background in sports science.
As students join the exercise science undergraduate program and sport performance master’s program, Dr. Walker is excited to help them develop the application skills he brings to his research.
- Excellence in Teaching Award: LVC’s chapter of the National Society of Leadership and Success (2022)
- Educator of the Year Award (2020)
- Arent, S.M., Walker, A.J., & Arent, M.A. (2020). Exercise, Anxiety, and Depression. In R.C. Eklund & G. Tenenbaum (Eds.), The Handbook of Sport Psychology (4th ed.). New York: Wiley. P. 872-889.
- Walker, A.J., Arent, M.A., McFadden, B.A., Arent, S.M. (2020). Physical Performance Testing in Soccer. In R. Curtis, C. Benjamin, R. Huggins, & D. Casa (Eds). Elite Soccer Players: Maximizing Performance and Safety. London:Routledge. P. 137-156.
- Arent, S.M., & Walker, A.J. (2017). Sport & Health: The unique challenge of elite sport. In D. Parnell & P. Krustrup (Eds). Sport and Health: Exploring the Current State of Play. London: Routledge. P. 179-197.
- McFadden, B., Bozzini, B., Cintineo, H., Hills, S., Walker, A., Chandler, Sanders, D.J., A., Russel, M., Arent, S. (2022). Power, endurance, and body composition changes over a collegiate career in NCAA division 1 women soccer athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. (PUP)
- Klien, D.J., Eck, K.M., Walker A.J., Pellegrino, J.K., Freidenreich, D.J. (2021). Assessment of Sport Nutrition Knowledge, Dietary Practices, and Sources of Nutrition Information in NCAA Division III Collegiate Athletes. Nutrients, 13(9), 2962.
- McFadden BA, Walker A.J., Bozzini B, Hofacker, M., Russel, M., Arent, S. M. (2021). Psychological and Physiological Changes in Response to The Cumulative Demands Of A Women’s Division I Collegiate Soccer Season. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 36(5), 1373-1382.
- Sekiguchi, Y., Curtis, R. M., Huggins, R. A., Benjamin, C. L., Walker, A. J., Arent, S. M., Adams, W. M., Anderson, T., & Casa, D. J. (2021). The Relationships Between Perceived Wellness, Sleep, and Acute: Chronic Training Load in National Collegiate Athletics Association Division I Male Soccer Players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 35(5), 1326-1330.
- McFadden BA, Walker A.J., Arent, M., Bozzini B, Sanders DJ, Cintineo, H.P., Bello, M., & Arent, S.M. (2020) Biomarkers Correlate with Body Composition and Performance Changes Throughout the Season in Women’s Division I Collegiate Soccer Players. Frontiers in Sports and Active Living, section Exercise Physiology. 2, 74.
- Sanders, D. J., Cardaci, T. D., McFadden, B. A., Walker, A. J., Bozzini, B. N., Cintineo, H. P., & Arent, S. M. (2020). The effects of an 8-week resistance training intervention on muscular strength, power, and body composition in collegiate female dancers. Comparative Exercise Physiology, 16(4), 277-284.
- Walker, A.J., McFadden, B.A., Sanders, D.J., Bozzini, B.N., Conway, S., & Arent, S.M. (2020). Early Season Hormonal and Biochemical Changes in Division I Field Hockey Players: Is Fitness Protective?. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 34(4), 975-981.
- McFadden, B.A., Walker, A.J., Sanders, D.J., Bozzini, B.N., Arent, S.M. (2020). A Comparison of Internal and External Training Loads in Male and Female Collegiate Soccer Players During Practices vs. Games. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 34(4), 969-974.
- Walker, A.J., McFadden, B., Sanders, D., Rabideau, Hofacker, M., & Arent, S.M. (2019). Biomarker response to a competitive season in division I female soccer players Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 33(10), 2622-2628.
- Sanders, D.J., Walker, A.J., Prior, K., Poyssick, A., Pellegrino, J., & Arent, S.M. Training Demands and Physiological Profile of Cross-Disciplined Collegiate Female Dancer. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 35(8), 2316-2320.
- EXSC 216: Human Physiology
- EXSC 202: Training and Conditioning
- EXSC 310: Exercise Physiology
- EXSC 702: Advance Topics in Strength and Conditioning and Sport Science
- EXSC 710: Advanced Exercise Physiology
- EXSC 712: Sport Science