The Department of Languages offers majors and minors in French, German, and Spanish, and secondary teacher certification in French, German, and Spanish; and Italian and Sanskrit at the elementary level.
Information about Lebanon Valley College's language placement test can be found as part of the College's New Student Website
The Language Placement Test is available now for those ready to take the test.
For students and advisors: an overview of the Language
Requirement at LVC.
Why Study a Language at Lebanon Valley College?
- To communicate in a language or languages of your choice: French, German, Italian, Sanskrit, or Spanish.
- To learn about contemporary life and have access to the culture, history, politics, literature, music, and art of other societies.
- Because the combination of a language major or minor with a business- or science-oriented field will help assure success in the evolving world economy and in today's highly competitive international job market.
- If you are interested in elementary or secondary education, you will find that additional certification in a language significantly enhances employment opportunities.
- Because the members of the Department of Languages offers personal attention and guidance to every student.
- The faculty strikes an ideal balance between native speakers and American-born professors.
- Classes are small and informal.
- Study abroad is strongly encouraged either in one of the College's programs or in other approved programs, depending on your needs and interests.
- You will be prepared to work and live in multicultural settings.
- Language clubs will add further understanding of language and culture with dinners, films, plays, traditional cultural dancing, and field trips. Members celebrate culture during International Culture Day.
Career Opportunities in Languages
With an undergraduate degree in any of the languages offered at Lebanon Valley College, you can pursue a career in:
Diplomatic and government service
International trade and management
Business and social services
Whatever your career choices may be, you can be assured that in today's rapidly changing global marketplace a language is a valuable asset. The Department of Language's goal is to prepare you for a career, and for an intellectually rewarding life.