Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What student support services are available to students?
We hope students will bring problems they are experiencing to our attention. However, we know from experience that there are many reasons why students are hesitant to do so. Therefore, we want to partner with you to encourage your student to raise questions and concerns with us. The following are some available student support services: academic advisor, dean of student affairs, associate academic dean, Career Services, Disability Services, Multicultural Affairs, Health Services, Counseling Services, Peer Tutoring, Writing Center.

Q: How do students register for courses?
A: During New Student Orientation days, first-semester freshmen meet with an academic advisor who will assist them in developing a list of possible courses for registration.

Q: When do returning students select courses each semester?
In conjunction with their academic advisor, students select courses each semester. Fall semester courses are usually selected in late March or early April. Spring semester courses are usually selected in November.

Q: Where do students study?
There are as many answers to this question as there are students at LVC. Each room in the residence halls is equipped to permit students with computers to access LVC’s main computer and electronic mail system. Study and quiet hours for all residence halls have been established by the College. However, for some students, televisions, radios, telephones, and the general level of activity in the residence halls are often too distracting. The Vernon and Doris Bishop Library provides study space for approximately 250 students at tables, individual study carrels, or in group study rooms. Additionally, many of the academic buildings are open in the evenings to provide students with other study options.

Q: How much should a student plan to study?
The answer depends on the student and the course studies, but the guideline used by the faculty is to allow at least two hours of preparation for each hour spent in class. This amounts to roughly six hours per week for each three-credit course. Students should allow even more time for difficult or more complex classes. Of course, there are times (before exams, when papers are due, etc.) when extra time is required.

Q: Who determines room occupancy?

A: When a vacancy occurs in a room, suite, or apartment, the remaining students(s) have the opportunity to identify a student to fill that vacancy. Should the student(s) not be successful in identifying a student, residential life staff will fill the vacancy. The residential life staff may also consolidate vacancies and relocate students to other rooms on campus.


Q: Is there special needs housing?
The student affairs staff and the director of disability services evaluate documented conditions and make reasonable housing accommodations. Special housing accommodations will be made only in situations where the documentation clearly indicates that the accommodation is medically necessary. Returning students should contact the Office of Student Affairs before room sign-up in March and new students should contact the office in early June.

Q: Does the College have security personnel?
The Office of Public Safety provides seven-day service to the campus community. The staff includes a full-time director of public safety, five full-time officers, and part-time officers.

Some officers have a law enforcement background. They do not carry firearms. They do carry radios capable of inter-connecting with the telephone system, pepper spray, flashlights, and handcuffs. These officers have the same police authority and arresting powers on the College campus as any police officer has in his or her municipality.

The Office of Public Safety cooperates with federal, state, county, and local police authorities. Officers meet on a routine basis with the Annville Township Police Department to discuss campus incidents and share information.

If assistance is needed with a major campus incident, the Annville Township Police and/or the Lebanon County Detective Bureau are asked to assist. All crime statistics are reported as required by law. The campus community is encouraged to report any crime or safety and security concern to the Office of Public Safety at ext. 6111.

Q: Should I be involved in activities?

A: We want our students to be involved in and out of the classroom. We believe students who are involved learn more. All students, regardless of their involvement, need to have good time management skills. We strongly encourage student involvement in extracurricular activities as early as their first semester. There are many clubs and organizations for students to consider. The College hosts an Activities Fair at the beginning of the fall semester to showcase the various opportunities available to students. We suggest that new students select one or two clubs or organizations to start. These initial activities may be continued or dropped and replaced as a student’s priorities change.

Q: What about student social life?
A: The Student Programming Board, part of Student Government, is the major sponsor of singers, comedians, coffeehouse performers, movies, and off-campus trips for the student body. The residence hall staff and student organizations also provide social programs for members of the campus community. The Underground, the College’s non-alcoholic dance club, is open most Saturday evenings. Every weekend during each semester there is a comedian, band, musical performance, or dance sponsored by the College. Students can participate in bowling, hiking, canoeing, shopping, skiing, and snow tubing among other activities. There are sporting events, intramural, and recreational activities. Day trips to Baltimore, New York, and Philadelphia allow students to attend theater productions, musical performances, and artist and author lectures. There are pizza, ice cream, sub, and nacho socials in residence halls. Sit-com socials, twister games, board games, and late night hallway talk sessions are always popular ways to spend time. The challenge is not finding something to do, the challenge is deciding what to do.

Q: How important are fraternities and sororities?
The campus is home to one national and two local social fraternities; one national service fraternity; two national and one local sorority; and one national service sorority. About eight percent of the student body are members of a Greek organization. Students who are in good academic standing and who are in at least their second semester of their freshmen year are eligible to pledge. Greek organizations provide students with opportunities to develop friendships, leadership skills, and service to others.

Q: What are the drug and alcohol policies?
A: Both policies are congruent with federal and state laws. Students cannot possess, consume, or be under the influence of drugs. Students who are 21 years of age may consume alcohol in a responsible manner in their room and only in the presence of other 21-year-old students. All students are sent a copy of these policies in August.

Q: What is the College’s smoking policy?
All College-owned residential facilities are clean air communities. Smoking, burning of candles, incense, or any substance is prohibited. Students who smoke and damage College property as a result of their smoking will be appropriately assessed and receive disciplinary action.

Q: Is it advisable for students to have their own computers?
It is not necessary for a student to own a computer since there are a number of student computer labs around campus. However, most students find it more convenient to have one of their own. The campus supports Microsoft Office. The College requires that students use only properly licensed copies of software. If you bring a computer to campus, we recommend that it be able to connect to the residence hall network. The computer must be equipped with an Ethernet network or wireless card. For more information related to computers, visit the IT Services website. You may also contact IT Services by email at or by telephone at 717-867-6060.

Q: Is there an LVC student identification card?
 Yes. A personal identification card (Dutchman OneCard for full-time students) with photograph is issued to each student. The card identifies the student as a member of the College and provides privileged admission to athletic events, the dining hall, library, sports center, new student center, and their assigned residential facility. The card must be shown if requested by public safety officers or other College personnel. Students must show their ID cards to make charges to their student accounts in the College Store; receive College work-aid checks; use the facilities and services of the College library; borrow equipment in the College Center; enter the dining halls, dances, and Arnold Sports Center.  Cards are non-transferable and lost or mutilated cards will be replaced at a charge.

Q: How does a student receive mail?
The mailroom, which is on the lower level of the Humanities Building, receives mail for faculty, administrative offices, and support staff. Student mail is delivered directly to the residence halls by the postal employees from the Annville Post Office. U.S. mail is distributed Monday through Friday, except holidays, to students’ residence hall mailboxes. In the residence halls, mail is sorted into student mailboxes by the hall director. To ensure delivery to students in their residence halls, mail should be addressed as follows:

Student's Name
Name of Residence Hall, Room #
Lebanon Valley College
Annville, PA 17003-xxxx

Each residence hall has a nine-digit zip code. Students should use last four digits to ensure accurate mail delivery. Zip codes are:

Centre Hall (73 East Sheridan Ave.)
38 College Avenue House
44 College Avenue House
118 College Avenue House
136 College Avenue House

138 College Avenue House
Dellinger Hall
Derickson A
Derickson B
Friendship House (104 College Ave.)
Funkhouser Hall
Hammond Hall
Keister Hall
9 E. Main Street Hall
13 E. Main Street Hall
15 E. Main Street Hall
17 E. Main Street Hall
21 E. Main Street Hall
219 E. Maple Street East House
217 E. Maple Street West House
Marquette Hall
Mary Green Hall
North College House

20 W. Sheridan House

22 W. Sheridan House 
24 W. Sheridan House
81 E. Sheridan Avenue East House 
79 E. Sheridan Avenue West House
Silver Hall
Vickroy Hall
Weimer House (144 College Ave.) 





The Annville Post Office is located one block from campus. If students have questions about how to mail something or are unclear about the amount of postage needed for a letter or package, the mailroom can help.

Q: What are the parking regulations for student vehicles?
All motor vehicles must be registered and display a permit sticker inside the left rear window. Vehicle stickers are available at the Office of Public Safety for an annual charge of $25 for the academic year. The per semester registration charge is $15. All full-time students are required to register their motor vehicles in accordance with College policy. Students may park only in areas designated as "student parking." All resident students must park their vehicles in the North Parking lots.

Q: What dining options are available at LVC?
The College offers dining in Mund Dining Hall. Students can also use their meal plans and flex dollars to purchase food at several locations around campus. Returning students have the option to choose between a 20-15-or 10-meal plan. Freshmen and new transfers are required to be on the 20-meal plan for their first year.

Q: How can I obtain more information from student affairs staff?
A: Visit 
our staff web page for contact information.