Additional Certification Requirements
Students seeking teacher certification must also complete a number of additional processes and requirements outlined in the Steps to Pennsylvania Teacher Certification document on the Education Department web page. Along with other requirements, these include a minimum GPA and the following coursework:
1. Completion of one English composition course.
2. Completion of one English or American literature course.
3. Completion of two college-level mathematics courses.
4. Completion of required Special Education coursework:
SPE 250 Cognitive Development of Diverse Learners
SPE 255 Special Education Processes and Procedures
The following course is required for music education majors and may also be required for students transfering credits into any certification program from other institutions:
SPE 258 Effective Instructional and Behavioral Strategies for Students with Disabilities
5. Completion of one of the following ESL courses:
For early childhood/special education certification: EDU 240 Language, Cultural Diversity and Academic Achievement: PreK - Grade 8
For secondary education certification: EDU 245 Language, Cultural Diversity and Academic Achievement: Grade 7 - Grade 12
K-12 certification (languages and music) candidates may take either course.