Student Employment

What is the average pay rate for an on campus job?
The wages for student employment positions range from $7.25 per hour to $8.25 per hour depending on the type of job and the level of responsibility. During the academic year, students are exempt from paying Social Security tax (FICA) on wages earned through campus employment. Student employees are not eligible for paid vacation or holiday hours.

How many hours do students work each week?
Students work, on average, 8-10 hours per week. Academics are the priority, therefore students schedules are made according to their class schedule. Total number of hours worked during the academic year may not exceed 20 hours per week; summer hours may not exceed 40 hours per week.

Can students work on campus if they do not have a Federal Work Study award?
Employers are encouraged to hire students with Federal Work Study awards. However non-FWS students are not restricted from working. The Student Employment Coordinator's first priority is to work with FWS students and then non-FWS students.

Must my son or daughter work if they have a Federal Work Study Award?
No, they do not have to work if they have a Federal Work Study Award. The award is eligibility, but they do not have to take advantage of it if they do not wish to work. The Federal Government and the college provide money to pay the wages of students with need.

What types of jobs are available on campus?
Student workers assist faculty, staff and administrators in a variety of ways. Many offices utilize student workers for clerical support and tasks such as filing, copying, answering phones and distributing mail. Students may work as LVC representatives in positions such as a Valley Ambassador (tour guide) or College Center desk worker. The athletic department hires students as lifeguards, team managers and event staff. Jobs are available in everything from food service to community service and a complete list of jobs is available on the Job Board.

What are community service jobs?
LVC students work in local daycare facilities, the Annville library, and the Lebanon Valley Family YMCA, as well as some other local not-for-profit employers.

When are Students Paid?
Student payroll occurs monthly. They may utilize direct deposit if they have or open an account at Lebanon Valley Farmer's Bank.

What identification do Students need to work on campus?
Student employees must complete the I-9 and W-4 and return them to the Payroll and Benefits Office located on the first floor of the Humanities Building. They must also provide photocopies of the appropriate identification, as listed on the back of the I-9 form. Most commonly used ID's are your LVC student ID or drivers license and social security card.