"I am currently employed in my 2nd full-time job in my field since graduating, and an LVC senior reached out to me via LVC's Handshake mentorship program. I set up a time for her to come in and shadow me at my job. Once there, she confirmed that it was indeed the type of work she had been looking for. My department at the time was looking for candidates, so she applied for an interview, which led to a job opportunity. The message she sent me via the Handshake program was the first step in the whole process." -- Amy M.
Become a part of current students' LVC experience by joining Career Connections, an online mentoring program that provides students and recent graduates an opportunity to tap into the LVC Global Network for exploration, networking, and mentoring during the job or internship search process. Career Connections is open to alumni from any career background. The program offers a flexible time commitment based on personal availability.
The role you play as a Career Connections mentor has significant potential for influencing students and helping them in their career development. Mentors are asked to abide by the following expectations:
- Create and maintain an informative profile. Make sure contact and job information is up-to-date by regularly logging in to your profile.
- Offer advice to students who seek out informational interviews, feedback on resume writing, or other career-related matters when possible.
- Communicate honestly and professionally with students when answering questions or providing advice. Students will learn from your example.
- Share your feedback with Career Connections coordinators about the program, participants, and your experiences.
- Consider introducing your employer to Lebanon Valley College students or graduates: Post your job and internship opportunities today on the LVC Handshake system.
- Visit the program website and select “mentor” as the type of account.
- Fill out the information to create your online profile.
- Continue to stay active in connecting with students and alumni for career development.
- Once your profile information is submitted, your status will be "pending" until confirmed and approved by the Office of Alumni & Parent Engagement or Breen Center for Graduate Success.