My experience as a Mosaic Mentor has taught me the importance of advocating for myself and others of marginalized communities. This position has taught me the impact that awareness and acceptance can make on others. Other students should consider applying for this mentorship to broaden their leadership and communication skills. It provides a level of engagement like no other. To be able to help others through challenging times is a really rewarding experience and one that I think would really benefit others!
The goal of the Mosaic Mentor Program is to provide direct and dedicated peer support to incoming and transfer ALANA, Multicultural Fellowship, LVEP, international, and LGBTQ+ identifying students. The mentor program assists students with their academic, social, and personal transition during their first year at LVC.
Mosaic Mentors are Responsible for:
- Providing academic, social, cultural, and personal support to incoming Fellowship, LVEP, Milton Hershey, international, and LGBTQ+ identifying students.
- Assisting first-year Fellowship students in understanding and completing requirements associated with the Multicultural Fellowship Program.
- Serving as positive role models for incoming Fellowship, LVEP, Milton Hershey, international, and LGBTQ+ identifying students.
Benefits to Participation:
- Develop strong leadership skills
- Résumé-building opportunity
- Excused from completing 2016-2017 Fellowship Requirements if part of the Multicultural Fellowship program
Mosaic Mentor Expectations:
- Participate in Mosaic Mentor REQUIRED training
- Attend the fellowship reception and opening social during New Student Orientation
- Attend regularly scheduled mentor meetings with supervisor
- Participate/attend Intercultural Fellowship programs and events
- Become acquainted with mentees by holding at least three mentee group meetings (one per month) during the Fall semester and two mentee group meetings during the Spring semester
- Establish contact with mentees one–three times per month (email, phone, or one-on-one)
- Serve as a positive role model
- Maintain open lines of communication with mentees
- Minimum 2.0 semester GPA for rising sophomores and 2.25 semester GPA for rising juniors and seniors (must be met by end of spring semester)
- Completed Online Application by March 31, 2020.
- A completed reference form (LVC faculty or staff member) - (ONLY first-year students can use a non-LVC reference (i.e. high school coach, teacher, guidance counselor, youth pastor)
- Personal interview (treat as a professional interview) with Intercultural Affairs staff and current intercultural mentors
- Good disciplinary standing
- Must be reliable, flexible, good communicator, and responsible