Reclaiming Equitable Spaces in K–12 Education in Pennsylvania and Beyond
The Institute for Educational Governance and Leadership’s Equity Summit 2018 is an opportunity for stakeholders from across the Commonwealth to engage in meaningful discussions, workshops, and critical organizing activities that highlight the importance of equity in the context of participants' school districts. The summit has significant implications for Pennsylvania K–12 education, and provides a place to gather communally to address issues of (in)equity, and to share best practices.
The Equity Summit will include keynotes and sessions that address issues and barriers—specific to Pennsylvania—that affect opportunities for our students to learn. These issues and barriers include educator equity, social-emotional learning, community and family engagement, and more. This summit will also aid districts and school leaders in developing culturally relevant equity-focused plans and programs.
Defining Equity: The Pennsylvania School Boards Association (PSBA) defines equity as the “just and fair distribution of resources based on each student’s needs. Equitable resources include funding, programs, policies, initiatives, and supports that target each student’s unique background and school context to guarantee that all students have equal access to a high-quality education…” (PSBA, 2018).
Themes for the Equity Summit:
- Equity in Rural, Suburban, and Urban Spaces: Understanding Local Context, Space, and Place in Equity
- Narratives and Discussions of Equity: Engaging the Voices of Students, Families, and the Community
- District Wide Equity Initiatives: Creating an Equity Focused School System
- Changing Pennsylvania Landscape and Equity: Understanding How Demographic Shifts Impact Equity School Practice and Policy
Date and Information for the Equity Summit
- Date: October 16, 2018
- Time: 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Location: Lebanon Valley College, Annville, Pa.
- Parking and Campus Map
- Tentative program
- Register Now
- Registration Fee:
- $25 for PSBA Members
- $35 General Admission
- LVC students and faculty may attend for free. Please see Donna-Marie Cole-Malott for special discount code.
The registration fee covers all instruction, program materials, refreshment breaks, breakfast, lunch, and reception. Registrants are responsible for all other meals and lodging.
Where to Stay:
Local Hotels, Motels, Bed and Breakfasts, and Inns
- See a list of recommended places to stay near LVC
- A limited number of rooms are available for summit attendees at the Hershey Lodge in Hershey, Pa. Please contact Jen Cramer for details.