One of the Best Actuarial Science Degrees in the Country
Actuaries are business professionals who use mathematical and financial tools to identify and manage risk. They are hired by insurance companies, banks, consulting firms, healthcare organizations, government, and more. They enjoy high pay, high job security, and great work-life balance.
LVC actuarial science graduates are in high demand. Leading companies visit campus to recruit students for paid summer and full-time jobs—including many of the 100 national and central Pennsylvania firms that employ LVC actuarial science graduates. Our graduates achieve a nearly 100 percent job offer rate year after year in a high-paying career that's expected to grow 22% from 2016 to 2026. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for actuaries is more than $100,000 per year.
Our program is among the best in the United States. Our students gain technical expertise and an excellent foundation in math, economics, and finance, while also becoming adept speakers, writers, and thinkers. LVC is the only college in the East that is recognized by the Society of Actuaries to prepare students for all six preliminary exams. The program also covers most of the syllabus of the Casualty Actuarial Society. Through coursework and internships, you'll acquire the necessary tools to develop mathematical skills to define, analyze, and solve financial and social problems, and manage risk.
Why Actuarial Science at LVC?
- LVC actuarial graduates are employed by more than 100 national and Central Pennsylvania firms, including Aetna, The Hartford, The Chubb Group, ING, Towers Watson, Guardian Life, Conrad Siegel Actuaries, Voya Financial, and Capital Blue Cross. Alumni have reached a number of positions within their company including Vice President or Assistant Vice President position at their company.
- In the 40 year history of the department, we've launched 95 fellows and 66 associates of the two actuarial societies. Learn more about the credentialing process for the Society of Actuaries and the Casualty Actuarial Society and view our list of credentialed alumni.
- Professional success naturally follows from student achievement. We require students to pass at least one actuarial exam administered by the SOA or CAS. In the past three years, LVC students passed an average of 3.0 exams before graduating.
- Nearly all actuarial science juniors at LVC spend their summer working at a paid internship in the industry, and many sophomores do as well. Internships provide valuable experience in the industry, and help a student evaluate the various possible paths for an actuary after graduation.
- LVC's Actuarial Science program provides students with the necessary background in math, economics, and finance to begin a career as an actuary, including 100 percent coverage of the Society of Actuaries' preliminary exam syllabi.
- The actuarial science curriculum is continuously updated so that it covers the material on the first five examinations of the Society of Actuaries' education program.
- Our students' success stems from our emphasis on the learning process. Our students learn to extract technical information, master it, and then explain it. Employers seek our graduates because they are articulate and technically proficient, a rare combination.
It’s such a rare skill to teach yourself something new from such technical material, but it’s a hallmark of the LVC actuarial degree.