What is a First-Year Mentor?
A First-Year Mentor (FYM), formerly known as a peer mentor, is an undergraduate student who leads and mentors a group of approximately 10–20 first-year or transfer students throughout orientation and their first year at LVC. The primary mission of the FYM program is to ease the transition of new students to Lebanon Valley College and encourage their personal, social, and academic success. Additionally, the program helps new students connect with other peers, support systems, and, ultimately, the institution.
Objectives of the First-Year Mentor Program
- To acquaint each first-year and transfer student with Lebanon Valley College’s structure, services, and community.
- To help new students connect with other peers and support services in a meaningful and positive way.
- To support students in their personal, social, and academic transitions, and address any needs and concerns that arise.
- To promote engagement in academic, social, and cultural opportunities.
Expectations of First-Year Mentors
- Participation in the required First-Year Mentor Training (Saturday, August 22 through Wednesday, August 26).
- Participation in the entire New Student Orientation program (Thursday, August 27 through Sunday, August 30).
- Become acquainted with all assigned mentees and establish positive relationships.
- Facilitate meetings with assigned mentees at least three times throughout the fall semester through one-on-one and group meetings, in addition to casual interactions.
- Serve as a positive role model through your personal, academic, and social behavior.
- Be knowledgeable about campus resources and services for appropriate recommendations and referrals.
- Attend scheduled meetings with supervisor as necessary.
- Attend two campus social activities within the first six weeks.
- Attend the Leadership Conference during the fall semester (Date TBD).
First-Year Mentor Criteria
- Have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA at the start of the 2020 spring semester.
- Completed application and résumé by Friday, March 13, at 4 p.m.
- Personal interview with Brandon Smith (please treat this as if you were attending a professional interview).
- Good disciplinary standing.
- Exhibit the ability to lead, learn, and work effectively with a diverse group of team members.
- Be reliable, flexible, a good communicator, and responsible.
Benefits and Perks of Being a First-Year Mentor
- $150 stipend
- Free First-Year Mentor t-shirt
- Free meals during First-Year Mentor Training and New Student Orientation
- Develop leadership and mentorship skills
- Create a significant impact on incoming LVC students
- Great résumé building opportunity
- Move-in early before everyone else returns
2020 First-Year Mentor Selection Timeline and Important Dates
Friday, Feb. 14, 2020: Applications Available Online
Attendance at one of the following:
- Tuesday, February 18, 2020: Information Session, 11 a.m., Tweedie Meeting Room, Allan W. Mund College Center
- Wednesday, February 26, 2020: Information Session, 4 p.m., Tweedie Meeting Room, Mund College Center
- Tuesday, March 10, 2020: Information Session, 12:15 p.m., Tweedie Meeting Room, Mund College Center
Friday, March 13, 2020: Applications due by 4 p.m./complete interview sign-up
Monday, March 16, 2020—Thursday, April 9, 2020: Individual interviews
Wednesday, April 15, 2020: Notifications sent via campus email
Wednesday, April 22, 2020: Introductory meeting for selected First-Year Mentors, 4 p.m., Frederic K. Miller Chapel 101
Saturday, Aug. 22, 2020–Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2020: Required First-Year Mentor training (Tentative)
Thursday, Aug. 27, 2020—Sunday, Aug. 30, 2020: Required New Student Orientation
Monday, Aug. 31, 2020: Fall semester begins
How to Apply
Access the online application form located on the MyLVC portal. Submit all completed materials by 4 p.m. Friday, March 13, 2020.
It is highly recommended that you have your résumé reviewed by the staff of the Edward and Lynn Breen Center for Graduate Success. Stop by during their open office hours or make an appointment by contacting them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about being a First-Year Mentor? Contact Brandon Smith at email@example.com.