Threat by Phone
If a threat is received by phone, it is desirable to have
another person listen to the call if possible. A calm response
to the caller could result in more information. Since the
caller is the best source, keep him or her on the line as long
as possible and ask for the message to be repeated for clarity.
During the call:
- DO NOT hang up.
- Remain calm, be courteous, and listen.
- Attempt to find out why the caller is upset.
- Identify the type of threat and to whom it is directed.
- Check caller ID if available.
- Get as much information as possible.
After the call:
- Write down as much information as possible.
- Call 911.
- Call LVC public safety (ext. 6111).
- Do not share information with anyone except emergency personnel and selected College officials. Note that only designated College officials can share information publicly.