Quick and responsible action during a medical emergency is
critical. Students and employees who are not trained to use
medical equipment or perform procedures such as CPR should
refrain from taking any action beyond calling for help and
Three basic steps:
- Call 911.
- Do not move a seriously injured person unless it is a life-threatening situation or it is necessary to prevent further injury.
- Stay with the victim and attempt to keep him or her as calm and comfortable as possible.
- Call LVC public safety (ext. 6111).
- Call LVC health center (ext. 6232).
- If appropriately trained, give CPR and first aid.
- Keep the victim warm to avoid shock and elevate lower extremities if possible.
- Remain with the victim until an ambulance or qualified medical personnel arrive.