Research First Program
Summer Research Opportunity for Incoming Freshmen
The Chemistry Department at LVC is happy to offer Research First, a program that provides opportunities for incoming LVC freshmen to work with college faculty/student research teams during the summer before their freshman year of college. This 40 hour per week immersion experience in scientific research provides opportunities to learn many new laboratory techniques. Based on high school record and experience, we will select a limited number of incoming LVC freshmen for this program. Research First students will:
- Spend 4-6 weeks in the summer of 2015 working on discovery research at LVC
- Receive a stipend of $300 per week
- Receive room and board while staying at the college
- Get an exciting head start on their college experience
As a Research First student, you will become involved in challenging and interesting research areas that include (1) studying reactions that occur on metallic surfaces under ultrahigh vacuum, (2) synthesizing new types of metal complexing agents that can scavange toxic metals from wastewater streams, (3) finding new techniques for synthesizing peptides for pharmaceutical applications, (4) mapping the critical sites on a key target enzyme for use in chemotherapy and anti-rejection drugs, and (5) developing new nanocatalysts that can destroy environmentally-toxic organic compounds.
We will teach you everything you need to know to do meaningful research in the laboratory. You will learn much and get to know science students and faculty at LVC, all before you begin college in the fall!
If you match the profile given below, we encourage you to apply for Research First. In our selection process for this program, we will be looking for students who:
- Will graduate in the top 20% of their high school class
- Have strong high school backgrounds in science and mathematics
- Scored 1200 or greater combined on the SAT math and verbal exams.
- Have a innate sense of curiosity and a genuine interest in discovery research
Are you interested? Please apply using the link to the web-based application form below. Application deadline is March 20, 2015. Questions? Call Dr. Marc Harris at 717-867-6146.
APPLY FOR RESEARCH FIRST PROGRAM