Lebanon Valley College prepares students for success with a thorough education and countless opportunities to explore and develop the confidence to know who they are and what they want to do.
Become a part of their LVC experience by joining Career Connections, an online mentoring program that provides students and recent graduates an opportunity to tap into the LVC Global Network for exploration, networking, and mentoring during the job or internship search process.
Volunteer as a Career Connections mentor today!
Mentor Job Description
- Review the mentor job description below.
- Visit the program website and select “Click here to register.”
- Fill out current information for your online profile.
- Continue to stay active in connecting with students and alumni for career development.
The role you play as a Career Connections mentor has significant potential for influencing students and helping them in their career development. Mentors are asked to abide by the following expectations:
- Maintain your profile: Your volunteer profile is your first impression on a student seeking your help; creating and maintaining an informative profile is crucial to your continued involvement with Career Connections. Keep yours up-to-date with a current email address and job information by regularly logging in to your profile.
- Give Advice: Students may ask you to provide career advice on résumé writing, career exploration, the job search process, etc. Be available and willing to help them with these questions, or refer them to others, when needed. You are not expected to be an expert on all career-related matters.
- Stay informed: Read the Career Connections e-newsletters to stay informed on current happenings with the program, plus additional career volunteer opportunities.
- Be Honest and Professional: Communicate honestly and professionally with students when answering questions or providing advice. Students will learn from your example.
- Provide Feedback: Share your feedback with Career Connections coordinators about the program, participants, and your experiences. Career Connections is a collaborative effort between the offices of Career Services and Alumni & Parent Engagement.
- Consider introducing your employer to Lebanon Valley College students or graduates: Post your job and internship opportunities today on the LVC JobCenter system. Contact the Office of Career Services at email@example.com or 717-867-6560, or visit the Resources for Employers page.
Career Connections is open to alumni and parents from any career background. The program offers a flexible time commitment based on personal availability. Because of the program’s online presence, alumni and parents from across the country and all over the world can easily volunteer.
How the program works:
Once your profile information is submitted, your status will be "pending" until confirmed and approved by the Office of Alumni & Parent Engagement. Upon approval, alumni and parents can serve as mentors and their profile will be available for students and recent graduates to view. Mentors can determine how many "contacts" they wish to receive each month. The database for this mentoring program can be sorted by major, occupation/current job description, areas of expertise, co-curricular activities, and geographic region allowing students and alumni to receive more personalized assistance.
If you have already logged in to set up your Mentor Profile in Handshake:
Click here to update your profile information, as well as accept mentorship requests from students.
If you previously had a Mentor account in JobCenter and have not yet accessed your new account in Handshake, please read below:
1. Go to lvc.joinhandshake.com and input the email address you had on file.
2. At the bottom of the login you will need to click on Log in using Email and Password.
3. At the bottom of the main login box you will need to reset your password. You can do so by clicking on Forgot your Password.
4. You will then need to check your email to find the email from Handshake to reset your password and login.
The email from Handshake may go to your Spam/Junk email unless you whitelist it - please be sure to look there if the email does not appear in your inbox within a few minutes after reset.
If you have any difficulties logging in, please feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Within the new system, students will have the ability to connect with you on Handshake directly to establish a "mentorship". Once a student has identified you as a potential mentor, he or she will submit a mentorship request to you. You would then approve that mentorship request so that the two of you can begin to communicate through messaging in the system. Should you wish to provide your email address, we suggest including it in the "advice" section of your profile so that students can contact you directly. Otherwise, students will only be able to contact you through Handshake until the mentorship has been established and you provide a student with your email address and/or phone number.