Summer Research Opportunity
Applications will be opening soon for Summer 2022.
LVC is happy to offer Research First in Chemistry. Research First is a program that provides opportunities for incoming LVC freshmen to work with college faculty/student research teams during the summer before their freshman year of college. This immersive experience in scientific research provides opportunities to learn many new laboratory techniques. Based on high school records and experience, we will select a limited number of incoming LVC freshmen for this program.
As a Research First student, you will become involved in challenging and interesting research areas that include:
- investigation of new polymers with enhanced strength and reliance
- design and preparation of biofuel cells and sensors
- synthesis of luminescent compounds for light-emitting and light-harvesting devices.
- testing of materials for environmental impact and remediation
- characterization of reaction mechanisms
- development of new enzyme assays
We will teach you everything you need to know to do meaningful research in the laboratory. You will learn much and get to know science students and faculty at LVC, all before you begin college in the fall!
If you match the profile given below, we encourage you to apply for Research First. In our selection process for this program, we will be looking for students who:
- Will graduate in the top 20% of their high school class
- Have strong high school backgrounds in science and mathematics
- Scored 1200 or greater combined on the SAT math and verbal exams.
- Have an innate sense of curiosity and a genuine interest in discovery research
Acceptances are made each year on a rolling basis. Questions? Call Dr. Wally Patton at 717-867-6827.
*While we continue to monitor the constantly evolving COVID pandemic, our plans for Summer 2022 are for face-to-face research experiences, as were held successfully during Summer 2021. During Research First, you can spend up to four full weeks during June and July working on discovery research in one of our groups, receive room and board while staying at the College, and receive a weekly stipend.