Summer Research Opportunity
Applications are now open for Summer 2021.*
The Biochemistry and Molecular Biology program at LVC are happy to offer Research First, a program that provides opportunities for incoming LVC freshmen to work with college faculty/student research teams during the summer before their freshman year of college. This 40 hours per week immersion experience in scientific research provides opportunities to learn many new laboratory techniques. Based on high school records and experience, we will select a limited number of incoming LVC freshmen for this program.
As a Research First student, you will become involved in challenging and interesting research areas that include:
- developing biological catalysts for electrochemical sensing and energy production
- synthesizing new types of metal complexing agents that can scavenge toxic metals from wastewater streams,
- finding new techniques for synthesizing peptides for pharmaceutical applications,
- mapping the critical sites on a key target enzyme for use in chemotherapy and anti-rejection drugs, and
- developing new nanocatalysts that can destroy environmentally-toxic organic compounds
- develop novel biosensors
- investigate the structure and function of enzymes
We will teach you everything you need to know to do meaningful research in the laboratory. You will learn much and get to know science students and faculty at LVC, all before you begin college in the fall!
If you match the profile given below, we encourage you to apply for Research First. In our selection process for this program, we will be looking for students who:
- Will graduate in the top 20% of their class
- Have strong high school backgrounds in science and mathematics
- Scored 1200 or greater combined on the SAT math and verbal exams
- Have an innate sense of curiosity and a genuine interest in discovery research
Acceptances are made each year on a rolling basis. Questions? Call Dr. Wally Patton at 717-867-6827.
*With the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, this summer may still be a bit different. While we yet cannot provide all the details of what our session this summer will look like, this immersive experience will still allow you to become acclimated to life at the College before you take your first class at LVC. If we can be face-to-face during Summer 2021, you can spend up to four full weeks during June and July working on discovery research in one of our groups, receive room and board while staying at the College, and receive a weekly stipend of $375. If we will continue to work at a distance, each group also has plans in place for how you will engage in their projects during June and July, with hours and stipends adjusted according to project needs.