This program will not run in Summer 2022.
EDU 390 Exploring 20th and 21st Century Fantasy in Children's Literature
This three-week study abroad opportunity will immerse students in the culture of London, England, while engaged in a course of study examining 20th and 21st-century fantasy in children’s literature. Students will examine both classical British works written for children as well as diverse and multicultural works written for young adult readers.
Students will live in flats in ethnic neighborhoods and participate in various excursions to points of interest related to the following works of literature: Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Hobbit, Matilda, Harry Potter, Alice in Wonderland, and Mary Poppins, to name a few.
Additional opportunities will be provided to visit historical landmarks in and around London including: Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Abbey Road and the Londontown of the Beatles, Stonehenge, Bath, Oxford, and more.
- Students in any major who are in good social and academic standing (2.5 GPA) may apply.
- There are no course prerequisites.
- The course will examine classic children's fantasy literature with a unique exploration of diversity and multiculturalism in British children's literature.
- Students will visit famous and inspirational sites of British children's literature including Oxford, Kensington Gardens, and Harry Potter Studios.
The program cost of $4700 includes:
- Tuition (3 credits)
- Housing with other LVC students
- Excursions and cultural activities, some with lunch included
- Foreign emergency medical insurance
Meals, airfare/travel, and personal expenses are not included in the program cost.
No federal, state, or institutional financial aid is available. If you plan to borrow an alternative/private student loan for this summer study abroad program, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
Monday, May 31–Saturday, June 20
Application Deadline: February 1
- Applications must be accompanied by a deposit payment of $200 (non-refundable after February 1).
- Remaining balance is due March 15, 2020.
Planned excursions include:
- Tower of London
- The House of Illustration for the Quentin Blake Gallery
- The Warner Brothers Studio for Harry Potter
- Oxford town with a tour of the C.S. Lewis Study Center
- Stonehenge and Bath