*The Barcelona Program will not run in 2018*
Art + Urban Experience
Barcelona is known for its intricate and unconventional architecture, such as the largest cathedral in Europe, La Sagrada Familia, designed by artist Antoni Gaudi. In addition to the stylistic architecture, Barcelona has vibrant shops, discos, restaurants and more. This Mediterranean city boasts famous Spanish cuisine whether its tapas, paella, or crema catalana. The sun and the beaches as well as the World class soccer team makes Barcelona one of the most attractive tourist destinations in Spain.
Dr. Michael, Pittari, Professor of Art and Art History, will serve as instructor of a three-credit course that will immerse students in the art and culture of Barcelona, Spain. Topics will include the architectural evolution of the city from its ancient origins to the present, the development of the Modern Art movement in the work of artists such as Picasso and Dali, and the aesthetic of Barcelona as a global center of cultural tourism. The course will be instructed in English. No prior knowledge of Spanish language or art history is required.
- Open to any major.
- Earn three credits.
- The course is pending Area 5 Literature/Fine Arts or the Immersive general education approval with participation in the program.
- Students will be housed in double rooms with a shared bathroom. Sheets, towels, air-conditioning, and a twice-a-week cleaning service are all provided.
- Three meals a day at the school cafeteria are included in the program costs.
- Planned excursions to notable locations in Spain.
The tentative PROGRAM COST OF $4350 includes:
- Tuition (3 credits)
- Sponsored excursions
- Transportation to and from Barcelona airport
Airfare, book, and personal expenses are not included in the program cost. Airfare estimated at $1100 roundtrip.
- Application deadline: December 1
- A $200 non-refundable program deposit is due by December 1.
- Remaining balance is due by March 15.
- Program date: May 22 - June 10
No federal, state, or institutional aid is available for this program. If you plan to borrow an alternative/private student loan for this summer study abroad program, please contact LVC’s Financial Aid Office.
- Parc Guell
- La Sagrada Familia
- Casa Mila
- Palau Guell
- National Museum of Cataluna
- Day trip to Museo Dali & Snt Pere de Rodes