Modern Band Certificate
The Modern Band Certificate is a hybrid post-baccalaureate program that instructs musicians how to develop a music curriculum that focuses on the Music as Second Language (MSL) method using contemporary, popular music styles through performance, composition, and improvisation.
Students will take courses in guitar, bass, keyboard, and drum set. Most importantly the certificate is designed for educators to learn how to incorporate this music and instrumental instruction into their existing teaching situations. The Modern Band curriculum can be taught not only in a public and private school environment, but also a private music school, church, and after-school program. The Modern Band method strengthens the ensemble experience for contemporary, studio, and church musicians.
What is Modern Band?
- Modern Band utilizes the Music as a Second Language (MSL) method.
- The MSL method believes that individuals acquire music the same way they acquire a spoken second language.
- All humans are innately natural music makers.
- This method allows individuals to learn to play contemporary musical styles, as well as, improvise and compose their own music.
Why Teach Modern Band?
- Educators can easily incorporate the Modern Band curriculum into their programs.
- Modern Band reaches all students. Students see success quickly by making music in a short time period. It is familiar music.
- Students learn in a relaxed environment.
- The Modern Band curriculum can be taught not only in a public and private school environment, but also a private music school, church, after-school program, etc.
There are two start dates for the Modern Band in 2019. Students can begin Summer II (July) and Fall II (October) semesters. Courses will be offered online during the Fall, Spring, and Summer I semesters. There is a two week residency, face-to-face courses, during the 2020 Summer II semester for both start dates.
Modern Band courses can also be applied towards the Master of Music Education program.
For more information on the College’s Modern Band Certificate program, please call 717-867-6383 or email email@example.com.
How to Apply:
- Complete an online application located at www.lvc.edu/MME.
- All candidates must have a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university and submit an official transcript.
- It is strongly recommended that a candidate has a bachelor's degree in music. If a candidate does not have a bachelor’s degree in music, he/she must complete and online assessment to accompany the application.