Louise Stevenson, Ph.D., and Philip Zimmerman, Ph.D., P'09 established the Thaddeus Project to convey gratitude for the educational guidance that their daughter, Lila Stevenson Zimmerman '09, received at LVC. The donors are pleased to offer students in the humanities and select social sciences the opportunity to apply for internship funding to support career preparation. The fund is named the Thaddeus Project in honor of Thaddeus Stevens—U.S. Representative, abolitionist, and promoter of free public education for all.
• The program provides an appropriate wage to compensate students for unpaid internships or to provide living/travel expenses for students who seek to secure internships that are distant from their homes.
• The donors’ preference is to support junior students, however, funds can be awarded to seniors and sophomores, as well.
• Student recipients should be majoring in English, history/American studies, art & visual culture, modern languages, philosophy, or music (B.A. only).
• The internship, secured by recipients in a for-profit or other setting, should emphasize career preparation over rote tasks.
• Students must submit application materials to the associate dean of academic affairs, which include a cover sheet, internship proposal form, resume, organizational support letter, faculty supervisor recommendation, and budget request (ranging from $500-$3,000).
• When the internship is complete, a student must submit to the supervising faculty member and to the associate dean of academic affairs a journal, final paper, presentation, project, or portfolio that reflects on the experience. They must also reconcile the project budget and return any portion of the grant not used as proposed.
If during a given year, the number of qualified internship applications do not exhaust the entirety of the fund balance available that year, the funds will be rolled forward to the following year’s budget to be used for the same purpose as outlined in above.
To start the application process, please contact Megan Price at email@example.com. Required documents are listed below and due February 1, 2020:
• Budget Request Form—ranging from $500–$3,000