A Peer Mentor is an undergraduate student who leads a group of new and/or transfer students starting with orientation weekend and continuing into the first year. The primary mission of the Peer Mentor Program is to ease the transition of new students to Lebanon Valley College so that they may succeed personally, socially, and academically. Additionally, the program helps each new student connect with other peers, an upper-class mentor, and ultimately, the institution as a whole. Peer Mentors are compensated with meals and expenses during training, a t-shirt, a financial honorarium, and recorded service hours while engaging in extensive leadership training.
Objectives of the Peer Mentor Program:
Expectations of the Peer Mentor are:
- To acquaint each new and transfer student with Lebanon Valley College—its structure, services, and unique personality;
- To help new students connect with other peers and at least one upper-class student in a meaningful, positive way;
- To assist students in personal assessment of strengths and abilities and support their transition academically, socially, and personally;
- To promote attendance at out-of-class academic, social, and cultural events;
- Attend all training sessions and events.
- Complete all of the program components with your group and participate in all the programs and events throughout the year;
- Set positive examples for others in personal, academic, and social behavior;
- Become acquainted with all students in their group and other new students and establish positive relationships;
- Be aware of student’s attitudes and be sensitive to individual as well as group needs; Encourage a sense of individual responsibility;
- Be knowledgeable about campus support networks and services;
- Show interest and encourage others to participate in and attend various college events;
- Promote student interaction;
- Keep track of which students attend events and programs;
Interested in being a Peer Mentor for the Fall of 2016?
Applications are available at the College Center Desk or from the Center from Student Engagement starting February 29th!
Important Dates for
2016 Peer Mentor Selection
Monday, February 29 Applications
Available at Mund College Center Information Desk
Thursday, March 17: Peer Mentor Interest
Session, 11:00 a.m., Tweedie Meeting Room,
Mund College Center
Monday, March 21: Peer Mentor Interest
Session, 4:00 p.m., Tweedie Meeting Room, Mund College
Friday, April 1 Applications Due
to Deb Bishop, in the Center for Student Engagement, by 4 p.m.
(All applicants must schedule an interview
when dropping off the application)
28 – April 15: Interview Process
April 18 Notifications sent via campus e-mail
Monday, April 25: Introductory Meeting at 4
August 21: Peer Mentor Training begins
August 24: Peer Mentor
August 25 –
August 28: Orientation!!!
August 29: Fall