A Peer Mentor is an undergraduate student who leads a group of new and/or transfer students during the orientation weekend and into the fall semester. The primary mission of the Peer Mentor Program is to ease the transition of new students to Lebanon Valley College so that they may succeed personally, socially, and academically. Additionally, the program helps each new student connect with other peers, an upper-class mentor, and ultimately, the institution as a whole. Peer Mentors are compensated with meals and expenses during training, a t-shirt, a small stipend, and recorded service hours while engaging in extensive leadership training.
Objectives of the Peer Mentor Program:
Expectations of the Peer Mentor are:
- To acquaint each new and transfer student with Lebanon Valley College—its structure, services, and unique personality;
- To help new students connect with other peers and at least one upper-class student in a meaningful, positive way;
- To assist students in personal assessment of strengths and abilities and support their transition academically, socially, and personally;
- To promote attendance at out-of-class academic, social, and cultural events;
- Attend all training sessions and events.
- Complete all of the program components with your group and attend all New Student Orientation programs and events;
- Set positive examples for others in personal, academic, and social behavior;
- Become acquainted with all students in their group and other new students and establish positive relationships;
- Be aware of student’s attitudes and be sensitive to individual as well as group needs; Encourage a sense of individual responsibility;
- Be knowledgeable about campus support networks and services;
- Show interest and encourage others to participate in and attend various college events;
- Promote student interaction;
- Keep track of which students attend events and programs;
Interested in being a Peer Mentor for the Fall of 2015?
Applications are available at the College Center Desk or from the Center from Student Engagement starting March 9th!
Important Dates for
2015 Peer Mentor Selection
Monday, March 9 Applications
Available at Mund College Center Information Desk
Monday, March 16: Peer Mentor Interest
Session, 4:30 p.m., Underground,
Mund College Center
Wednesday, March 18: Peer Mentor Interest
Session, 9 p.m., Underground, Mund College
Friday, March 27 Applications Due
to Deb Bishop, in the Center for Student Engagement, by 4 p.m.
(All applicants must schedule an interview
when dropping off the application)
20 – April 8: Interview Process
April 10 Notifications sent via campus e-mail
Wednesday, April 15: Introductory Meeting at 4
August 23: Peer Mentor Training begins
August 26: Peer Mentor
August 27 –
August 30: Orientation!!!
August 31: Fall