Students using the LVC network are required to have up-to-date antivirus software on their computer.
Current, full-time LVC students may use the College's antivirus software, System Center Endpoint Protection, at no charge.
Note: Windows 8 and 10 come with Defender so System Center Endpoint Protection is not necessary. For additional protection against malware attacks, the College suggests Malwarebytes, free anti-malware and Internet security software.
Some best practices to avoid phishing attempts:
LVC will only send account reminders for your LVC username and password. These are sent 14 days prior to your account password expiring. We do not recommend clicking on the link; instead we recommend either visiting the LVC Office of Information Technology page and clicking on “Passwords” or typing into your browser www.lvc.edu/passwords and visiting the page directly.
- Never respond to emails that request personal information. Call or email your financial advisor separately. Visit your bank or financial website directly and avoid clicking on links embedded in emails.
- Verify websites that you visit are secure before entering your username and password. Make sure that the website appears correctly and https:// appears before the website address. If you change a password for LVC, the website should always start with https:// and have lvc.edu in the address.
- If the link or email looks too good to be true, it most likely is. Verify first with a quick search to see if this might be a phishing attempt.
- If you question the legitimacy of the email, delete the email. If your LVC password is set to expire, you’ll receive an email 14 days prior, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 day(s) prior to the expiration. You have plenty of time to change your password. If you delete the first email, the second email will remind you to visit our webpages directly.
- Employees can view or modify their password preferences through the LVC Website. Please visit www.lvc.edu/passwords for more information. By doing this ahead of time, employees can create an easy mechanism for when their account is locked, expires, or a password is forgotten. Password preferences allow you to add secret questions and answers and enable the option to change passwords through the LVC website.