Common Questions

What is the Music Recording Technology Program?

The Music Recording Technology Program at Lebanon Valley College is a four-year course of study leading to the degree Bachelor of Music with Emphasis in Music Recording Technology.

What types of classes are included?

Currently the program includes courses in three main areas: Music, Music Recording Technology, and General Education. You need to be aware that this is a liberal arts college, not a technical school. Your experiences will extend far beyond just working in the recording studio, so if this is not what you are interested in you should look elsewhere.

Is a musical audition required?

Yes! This degree program is an accredited Bachelor of Music degree. Our philosophy is that this field needs musicians who understand the technology, rather than just technicians who learn how the equipment operates. Therefore, we recommend only students with a strong background in music instruction and performance apply.

What if I don't want to study in a traditional music program?

Then you won't be very happy here. Fortunately, there are many different types of recording programs around the country, so you can easily find a school that offers such a degree that is not music-based.

What does the Music and Recording Industry include?

The Music Industry is a multi-billion dollar industry and provides many different types of opportunities for careers. Here are just a few ideas:

Recorded music Producing and merchandising of CD's, downloads, and other recorded products.
Audio for Video Audio production for TV, film, commercial video, videogames, etc.
Music publishing Copyright administration, licensing music for various uses.
Music products industry     Production and merchandising of musical instruments and accessories.
Retail music Product specialist for manufacturers, music stores.
Performed music TV, radio, stage, and live performances.
Entertainment law Obtain a law degree after graduation and represent artists, various companies.

Where are graduates employed?

Our interns have worked throughout the country (and beyond), and our graduates are employed in various aspects of the industry, often through connections made during their internship. Many have launched their own businesses. You'll find our graduates working in post-production, recording studios, record labels, publishing, live reinforcement, theater and show production, and the list goes on. Some have gone on to law school, business school, or even become certified to teach in the schools. Once you get out in the real world, you just start down the road and see where it takes you...often in surprising twists and turns.

Is there a minor in Music Technology?

Due to the extensive course of study required for this program, there is no minor offered in this area.

Is this degree accredited?

This curriculum is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.

Can anyone register for just one class without taking the entire program?

Non-MRT students may only register for classes with permission of the director, given current enrollment conditions at the time.

Can I transfer in from another institution?

Yes, but there are implications involved. Depending on your particular studies, it usually will take at least three additional years at LVC. Any previous recording coursework may not help a great deal as many transfer students have a difficult time learning our facilities and catching up on fundamentals that we focus on. Finally, you will inevitably run into scheduling conflicts when you're out of sync with the regular program. It can be done, but you should contact the program director and discuss this before going through the paperwork.