Director of Technology and User Support; Adjunct Instructor in Business Administration
B.S. Pennsylvania State University, 1979; M.S. in Ed., The Pennsylvania State University, 1995.
Mike is responsible for academic and desktop computing, and directs the Technology and User Support group within the Information Technology department.
Address: Lynch 004
Director of Technology and User Support
Original Date Prepared: 12/1995 Revision Date: 7/2000; 4/2004; 7/2005
Reports to: Director of Information Technology
Administrative Group: Information Technology
Functional Description: The Director of Technology and User Support is responsible for academic and desktop computing, and heads the Technology and User Support group within Information Technology. The Director of Technology and User Support is a member of the IT management team that also includes the Director of Enterprise Information Systems, the Manager of Infrastructure and Security, and the Director of Information Technology.
- Providing an expert level of support for academic and desktop computing users.
- Coordinating all levels of academic and desktop support and training by Information Technology.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of technology and user support initiatives.
- Serving as a resource person for faculty interested in using technology in the classroom.
- Coordinating faculty development programs in the use of technology in courses.
- Assisting faculty in the selection of technology for use in the teaching and learning process.
- Collaborating with Audiovisual Technology to provide coordinated support of instructional technology equipment and classrooms.
- Functioning as member of the Committee on Information Technology and Services.
- Assuring the smooth operation of the technology centers for which IT Services is responsible.
- Overseeing the selection, supervision and training of student technology center assistants.
- Monitoring the student wage budget.
- Leading the evaluation and selection of desktop computing hardware and software being contemplated for use on campus.
- Overseeing the installation of college-owned desktop computing equipment and software.
- Advising faculty, students and staff in the selection of desktop computer-related items for college and personal use and administering any college involvement in the purchasing process.
- Providing leadership in the development of standards for desktop computing hardware and software and maintaining adequate documentation of established standards.
- Learning and keeping abreast of current and emerging hardware and software trends.
Principal Internal Working Relationships: Students, faculty and staff.
External Working Relationships: Vendors.
Direct Reports: Technology and User Support Coordinator, Senior Technology Support Specialist, Technology Support Specialist.
Education Requirements: Bachelor's Degree.