Requirements For Documentation of Chronic Health Impairments

Students requesting accommodations or other support services from the Office of Disability Services are required to submit documentation to verify eligibility for protection under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The provision of reasonable accommodations and services is based upon the current impact of the student's medical condition on a major life activity, such as walking, talking, hearing, sleeping, or learning. Because the nature of many medical conditions is such that remissions can occur, we require recent documentation (no older than one year) from a physician who is qualified in the identification and treatment of the condition, and which contains the following information:

Discussion of Confirmatory Evidence of the Presence of the Condition
Discussion of the severity of the condition in terms of the degree to which it impairs normal life activities, providing specific details of the student's limitations. It is important to note that diagnosis is not synonymous with disability.

Discussion of How the Condition Currently Impacts the Student's Abilities
To participate, learn, and demonstrate knowledge in a traditional academic environment.

Current Treatment Plan
The student's response to treatment. If medications are used, a discussion of side effects that impact cognitive processes.

Recommendations for Accommodations
Must include a discussion of how provision of such accommodations will help circumvent difficulties resulting the condition and thus help ensure equal access to the programs of the college.

The report from the physician must be typed on official letterhead, and include the physician's name, professional credentials, and date.

Important Related Information
Prior history of any particular accommodation does not, in and of itself, warrant its continued provision. An Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan is not sufficient documentation of a disability. Submission of documentation does not constitute a request for services or accommodations. Such requests must be initiated by the student by contacting the Office of Disability Services (ODS). The ODS is ultimately responsible for determining appropriate accommodations. All documentation is confidential and will be assessed according to these requirements.

Submit all documentation to:
Office of Disability Services
Lebanon Valley College
(717) 867-6028