Graduate Academic Programs

Lebanon Valley College offers five graduate programs: 

Master of Athletic Training
Master of Business Administration 
Master of Music Education 
Master of Science Education 
Doctor of Physical Therapy 

Graduate Program Policies and Procedures

Academic Advising and Registration
Graduate students should contact their academic advisors prior to class registration. The advisor will develop a graduation plan with the student. All course registrations require the advisor’s approval.

Veteran Registration
Students receiving educational benefits provided by the Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) must report their enrollment to the Financial Aid Office upon registration each semester or summer session. The Financial Aid Office will then submit certification of enrollment to the DVA. Students should complete the FAFSA and the financial aid process each year according to the school's requirements and deadlines. Students receiving EAP and/or FTA benefits are responsible for applying these benefits through their unit of assignment prior to the start of each semester or summer session and for submitting all the necessary forms to the Financial Aid Office.

Students must notify the Financial Aid Office immediately if they change the number of credits for which they are enrolled, withdraw, or request a leave of absence. Failure to do so may result in a charge to the student from the DVA for over-payment of benefits. For more information on veterans benefits, please visit the financial aid web page.

Transfer Credit
A maximum of 9 credits (a maximum of 6 core credits) may be transferred from another graduate program with the approval of the registrar and appropriate program director. Transfer institutions within the United States must be regionally accredited; institutions outside of the United States must be recognized as degree granting institutions by their home country.  A course-by-course evaluation of all foreign university transcripts by an independent service based in the United States is required for international transfer students.

Coursework, including expected learning outcomes, must be equivalent to or consistent with the curricula and standards of the applicable graduate program at Lebanon Valley College.  No transfer credit shall be accepted if the grade earned at another institution was less than B (a grade of B- or lower will not be accepted).  Transferred grades count for credit hours only, not for quality points.  Students wishing to transfer credits may be asked to submit course syllabus, textbook used, and any reading materials, so proper credit may be given.  No graduate transfer credit is accepted in the DPT program.

Concurrent Courses
A student enrolled for a graduate degree may not take courses concurrently at another educational institution without prior consent of the academic advisor and the registrar.

Student work is graded A, A–, B+, B, B–, C+, C and F. Candidates must maintain a grade point average of 3.00 with a maximum of two C grades in the program.

In addition, the symbols I and W are used. I indicates work that is incomplete but otherwise satisfactory. It is awarded only for substantial reason and work must be completed in the first eight weeks of the following semester, including summer session, or I will be changed to F.

W indicates withdrawal from a course through the designated withdrawal date. Thereafter, the appropriate letter grade will be assigned for the course.

MSE 830, MME 805/806, and some PHT courses (see Doctor of Physical Therapy section) are graded pass/fail.

Auditing Graduate Courses
Students may register to audit graduate courses with the approval of the director of the particular graduate program of interest and the course instructor. Students who audit a course receive neither credit nor a conventional grade for that course. Students who attend regularly will have a final grade of AU, which does not carry any grade points, noted on the transcript. Students auditing courses are not responsible for the assignments or examinations required in the course. The same tuition and fees are charged for audit as for credit courses. The same regulations regarding dropping, adding, and withdrawing from a course, as well as refund schedules, apply to courses that are audited. Since priority for enrollment is given to degree-seeking and certificate program students, those not enrolled in a graduate program may only audit a course if space permits.

Students may select audit status or change their status in a course from credit to audit through the drop/add period only

Review Procedure
Every student’s academic progress shall be reviewed at the end of each academic period by the academic advisor. Any student whose average falls below 3.0 or who earns a C or F in three or more credit hours may be placed on academic probation. A student on academic probation may be required to retake courses or correct other academic deficiencies and must achieve a 3.0 cumulative average within two semesters of being placed on probation. A student may repeat a maximum of two graduate courses with any given course being repeated only once. Students who fail to correct deficiencies may be dropped from the program. A student may appeal any decision of the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies to the Vice President of Academic Affairs and Dean of the Faculty.

Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) is subject to a separate review procedure.  DPT students' progress is reviewed at the close of every semester by the DPT faculty.  In the DPT professional phase, students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 and receive a "P" (Pass) for all clinical education experiences to remain in good standing.  Any student whose cumulative professional phase GPA falls below 3.0 will be placed on academic probation; deficient GPAs must be remediated within two academic semesters to a 3.0, and be retained at that level for the remainder of the professional phase of the program.  Failure to maintain the minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA in any subsequent semester or achieve the 3.0 GPA before the final clinical experience will result in dismissal from the program.  Any student who earns two F's in either academic or clinical education courses will be dismissed from the program without option for re-entry.  Academic standards related to continuation in the program and requirements for academic progression in the DPT program may be found in the Physical Therapy Department Handbook.

A student may appeal any decision to the Vice President of Academic Affairs and the Dean of Faculty.

Course Withdrawal and Tuition Refund
Any MBA, MME, or MSE student who withdraws from courses for which he or she is registered must notify the Graduate and Professional Studies Office. The effective date of withdrawal is the date on which the student notifies the office. Failure to give notice of withdrawal will result in a grade of F. Notifying the instructor does not constitute official withdrawal. A refund schedule based on official withdrawal date is available on the GS and CE web pages. Part-time students receiving federal financial assistance (Title IV) will receive a refund according to federal policy as noted above.

Students may drop a course with no penalty during the first week of classes of a full fall or spring term or, for courses meeting during the summer or for an abbreviated period, prior to the 2nd meeting of the course. There will be no tuition due for a course dropped during this period and any tuition paid for the course will be refunded in full. The course will not appear on the student’s academic transcript.

Students may withdraw a course after this period up to the first two-thirds of the course. In such cases, a “W” will be noted on the academic transcript in place of a grade and tuition will be refunded according to the College’s Tuition Refund Schedule.

Maintaining Active Admission Status 
MBA, MME, MSE, or post-baccalaureate students who do not enroll in classes for a period of two (2) years will be withdrawn from their academic program.  If they do not enroll within a two-year period, they must secure a leave of absence from the program director in order to maintain active status, or be administratively withdrawn. To be granted a leave of absence, students must demonstrate that they will complete their program within the seven-year window described below.  Status changes are reviewed in August, January, and May each year.

Withdrawn students who seek to return will need to reapply for admission.  Readmission of a student requires written permission from the program director.  All admission requirements and degree requirements will be re-evaluated at the time of the request for readmission,

As students in full-time programs, DPT and MAT students are expected to be enrolled each semester until the completion of their program.  Students who are unable to do so must secure a leave of absence by completing a form available from the Registrar's Office and securing the approval of the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. This form must be returned to the Registrar's Office by 4:30 p.m. on the last day of classes in order for the leave of absences to take effect that term.  Students who have stopped attending classes but failed to complete the leave of absence application and secure the official approval for the leave will be administratively withdrawn from the College.

When they are ready to return to the College after a leave of absence, DPT and MAT students should contact their academic advisor to register, as well as other offices needed to facilitate their return.  Students who do not provide due notice (60 days) of a change in the date of expected return will be administratively withdrawn from the College and must petition the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs for formal readmission.

Time Restriction

The maximum time for completion of a graduate program is seven years from the date of the admission letter. Students who have not earned the graduate degree during this period shall have their academic standing reviewed and may be asked to meet additional requirements in order to graduate.

Academic Honesty
Students are expected to uphold the principles of academic honesty. Academic dishonesty will not be tolerated. For the first academic dishonesty offense, failure in the course is mandatory, and the faculty member is required to inform the program director/coordinator in writing. A letter of warning shall be sent to the student by the program director/coordinator explaining the consequences and the right of appeal. For the second offense, failure in the course and expulsion from the graduate program and College are mandatory.

Privacy of Student Records
In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (P.L. 39-380) Lebanon Valley College releases no student education records without written consent and request of the student or as prescribed by the law. Each student has access to his or her education records with exclusions only as specified by the law.

Financial Aid
Students may participate in the Stafford Loan Program. Graduate students should contact the Financial Aid Office at 717-867-6181 to discuss financial aid eligibility.

Employee Tuition Reimbursement
Students are encouraged to inquire about tuition reimbursement programs at their places of employment. Most employers of current students provide education subsidies of 50–100 percent of tuition. Students who participate in an employer reimbursement program may be eligible for the deferred tuition option. Some employers authorize the College to bill them directly. In this case, students must present billing authorization when they register. Information on direct bill and deferred tuition options can be found on the Graduate and Professional Studies web pages.

Withdrawal from Program and College and Readmission
To withdraw from a graduate program at Lebanon Valley College, a graduate student must submit a written request to the Graduate Program Director. Once withdrawn, a graduate student must apply for readmission to a program in order to return and will be subject to the admission criteria, curriculum and degree requirements in place at the time of their readmission.