Internships for Experience Only
For those not obtaining academic credit...
The Career Services Office welcomes the opportunity to help you plan for and locate internship opportunities. We want you to have a valuable experience that will impact you personally and prepare you for future employment in a professional setting. Make plans to discuss your internship goals with us early as this process can take time. Remember, employers often announce internship openings and request applications several months in advance of the actual start date.
- Start by speaking with a career counselor about your interest in interning and registering your intention to participate. Internship Tutorials take place each Wednesday at 300 p.m. (September 12 - November 14) at the Career Services office. Here you will be coached in best practices for student interns. You will receive a booklet to help you work through the various stages of setting goals, making application, preparing resumes and cover letters, prepping for interviews, managing your on-site experience, and finishing well.
- Locate internship possibilities. Start with these TIPS.
- Once you secure your internship, let us know! We will want to celebrate your success AND obtain a few details (yes, we have a brief form for you to complete) on where and with whom you will be interning. Later we'll be asking your employer for some feedback on their interest in obtaining future interns from LVC.
- Be prepared for health & safety requirements. In some cases you might be expected to have a medical exam or verify you have no communicable disease such as tuberculosis. Perhaps you will be required to have CPR training. Or, you may be expected to submit clearances such as the PA Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Request for Criminal Record Check, and FBI Clearance.
- Know what it takes to be successful in the workplace. Familiarize yourself with the expectations employers have for student interns and new professionals.
- You won't have the same kind of formal requirements placed upon you from LVC as those students doing internships for credit. Nevertheless we want you to get the most out of this experience, so take a look at our TIPS. These best practices while interning are addressed more fully at the Internship Tutorials every Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. (September 12 - November 14) in the Career Services Office.
Upon Completing Your Internship
- Remember that Student Evaluation of Internship form you recieved at the Internship Tutorial? We'll be reminding you to complete and return it to the Career Services Office. If you've misplaced it, you can request another form. Your candid comments will help us in discussions we may have with this employer regarding future internship opportunities for other LVC students.
- Keep in touch with your internship supervisor and others you meet (networking). Keep them abreast of your academic progress; let them know when you've secured a job offer or gain acceptance to graduate school. More TIPS.