Students will participate in the EDU 450 course, Teaching the Young Adolescent, Aged 10-15, at Edge Hill University in Ormskirk, England and earn 3 writing process course credits. This will include an invaluable practicum experience in an English Middle School setting. The course will be taught by LVC’s Dr. Karen Walker.
Envision yourself experiencing different cultural events, theater, sports, the arts and shopping. You will be close to Liverpool, the place where the Beatles got their start, and Manchester. In addition to this lovely region, you might also choose to visit towns along the Irish Sea, the seaside towns in North Wales, English castles, cathedrals and pubs.
For more information contact Dr. Walker at (717) 867-6388 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
EDU 450 Teaching the Young Adolescent, Aged 10 -15
This course examines the historic and philosophic contexts of middle level education and current issues affecting middle schools in the United States and England, including developmentally appropriate curriculum, instruction and assessment, the guidance role of middle school teachers, and communication with parents and the public. This class meets one of the Gen Ed requirements for a writing process course.
The class will discuss:
1. The characteristics of young adolescents.
2. Current theories and pedagogies about how students learn such as brain learning, multiple intelligences, higher order thinking and processing, and differentiation.
3. The differences between junior high and middle school and the pros and cons of each.
4. The development of middle schools in the U.S. and England.
5. The components of developmentally appropriate middle schools such as: teaming, advisory, scheduling, involving parents and community, integrating curriculum, and using technology as an instructional tool.
The program cost of $4500 includes:
- Tuition (3 credits)
- Pre-arranged classroom observations
- Accommodation in student residence (possibly shared)
- Meal card for 10-12 meals per week in dining hall.
- 2 half-day excursions.
- 2 full-day excursions
- Roundtrip airport transportation from Manchester to Ormskirk
Some meals, airfare, and personal expenses are not included in the program cost.
Airfare estimated at $950 roundtrip.
Financial aid and scholarships are not available for summer study abroad programs.
Application deadline is February 1.
Applications must be accompanied by deposit payment of $200 (non-refundable after Feb. 1). Remaining balance is due March 15.
You can pick up an application in the Center for Global Education, Lebegern Learning Commons.