SPA 102; 201/202; 300: Summer Study in Costa Rica
This four week summer program is offered to students in any major who have an interest in broadening their Spanish language and Hispanic cultural knowledge. You can earn six credits with this beginning, intermediate or advanced proficiency Spanish language course that will apply toward a major or minor in Spanish. Students will also fulfill the Intercultural Competence with a Focus on Language and Cultural immersion, and Immersive Experience Constellation requirements. The four-credit Spanish language classes will be led by Costa Rican professors, while a LVC Spanish professor with teach a two-credit companion culture course. Students live with different Costa Rican host families over the four week program duration in three different cities: Flamingo, Monteverde and San Joaquin de Flores.
- Students from any major who are in good social and academic standing (2.5 GPA) may apply.
- There are no course prerequisites. Spanish language course levels will be determined by a Spanish language placement test.
- The course combines a four-hour daily classroom instruction with cultural activities, field trips, and community engagement.
- Students live with host families who will provide breakfast and dinner.
- Scholarship funding is available for this program.
The program cost of $4400 includes:
- Tuition (6 credits)
- Housing with a Spanish-speaking homestay
- Breakfast and dinner with a Spanish-speaking homestay
- Excursions and cultural activities, some with lunch included
- Foreign emergency medical insurance
Lunches, airfare/travel, and personal expenses and not included in the program cost.
Study abroad programs that are 6 credits may be eligible for limited financial aid. For additional information regarding summer financial aid, please read the 2018-2019 Summer Financial Aid Application instructions on the financial aid webpage. If you would like to apply for summer aid, you must complete the application and submit it to the Financial Aid Office.
Sunday, May 13–Sunday, June 10
Application Deadline: February 1
- Applications must be accompanied by a deposit payment of $200 (non-refundable after February 1).
- Remaining balance is due March 15, 2018.
Planned excursions include:
- Arenal Volcano: hot water springs and lava flows
- Latin dance classes
- Flamingo beach area