About Music at LVC
LVC’s music programs emphasize learning by doing as well as sensitive and critical listening skills, composing, performance, and the role of music throughout history and in contemporary society.
Choose from concentrations in composition, theory, sacred music, organ, instrumental, voice, piano, and jazz. These typically end with a capstone experience, often in the form of a recital. If a concentration doesn’t already exist, you can apply for a concentration that more closely covers your interests.
Our new musical theatre minor, beginning in Fall 2018, creates an opportunity for students of any major to study acting, acting through song, general theater, musical theater history, and singing technique.
Why Music at LVC?
- Concentrate in specific areas of interest and opportunities normally not offered elsewhere: Recently, students majoring in Organ and Sacred Music concentrations traveled to Brazil to play and learn about the organs in multiple churches, as well as appreciate sacred music in another country.
- Learn from faculty who are innovative performers and graduates of some of the finest music schools and conservatories in the country.
- Participate in the Pride of The Valley Marching Band, the largest marching band in the Middle Atlantic Conference.
- Learn and perform in the Bertha Brossman Blair Music Center, one of the largest and best-equipped music facilities in the area. Blair includes a 500-seat concert hall (Lutz Recital Hall), 32 teaching studios, 36 individual practice rooms, and four recording studios. Music majors also perform in the 175-seat Zimmerman Recital Hall, a premier space for chamber performances, providing an intimate, acoustically pleasing environment for
many student, faculty, and guest performances.
- Participate in numerous music groups, including Chamber Choir, Clarinet Choir, College Choir, Concert Choir, Flute Ensemble, Guitar Ensemble, Handbell Choir, Low Brass Ensemble, New Music Ensemble, LVC Jazz Band, Percussion Ensemble, Pride of The Valley Marching Band, Saxophone Ensemble, Small Jazz Ensemble, String Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Symphony Orchestra, or Trumpet Ensemble.
- Get involved in the LVC American Guild of Organists, Music Industry Student Association, National Association for Music Education, VALE Music Group, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (music fraternity for men), and Sigma Alpha Iota (international music fraternity for women).
Through the financial support of an Arnold Grant from LVC, I was able to participate in Opera Viva! I spent three weeks in Italy studying Italian opera and language, as well as learning how to prepare concert repertoire in a master class, with some of the world’s leading opera professionals.
Sara is on the Voice and Acting Teaching faculty for the Broadway Dreams Foundation (BDF), and serves as the Second Year Acting Professor at The Institute for American Musical Theatre (IAMT) in New York…
Singing songs like ‘Think of me’ from Phantom…, ’Till There Was You’ from The Music Man and Popular from Wicked, Sara Jean Ford’s quirky tale of the generations that ﬁnd a tie through their music will…