About The Program
Learning mathematics at LVC is unique. The combination of a friendly atmosphere (7% of our student body studies in our three Mathematics Department majors, compared to 1% at other schools), dedication to high academic standards, successful graduates, and caring faculty set the program apart from other colleges. You may even get to participate in the student-faculty Mathematical Physics Research Group, which explores quantum information science.
You’ll have access to a variety of challenging courses that will enable you to sharpen your analytical and problem-solving skills, and better understand the world through quantitative processes. Students will carry out research alongside expert faculty, as well as have the opportunity to participate in coveted internships before attending prestigious graduate schools or finding challenging work in a variety of fields.
- Over the past 35+ years, approximately 89 percent of LVC mathematical sciences graduates have immediately entered the work force with approximately 11 percent continuing with graduate or professional school.
- Learning mathematics at LVC is unique. The combination of a friendly atmosphere, dedication to high academic standards, critical mass of students studying mathematics, successful graduates, and caring faculty set the program apart from math departments at other colleges.
- The major in mathematics is the foundation of the department’s curriculum. The basic program can be complemented with other courses depending on a student’s interests.
- Mathematics, actuarial science, analytical finance, and computer & data science majors constitute seven percent of the LVC student body, as compared to the national average of less than one percent.
- The Mathematical Physics Research Group brings mathematics, physics, and computer & data science students together with faculty for research projects—primarily in quantum information science.
- Our students’ success stems from our emphasis on the learning process. Our students learn to extract technical information, master it, and then explain it.
- Employers seek our graduates because they are articulate and technically proficient, a rare combination.
LVC’s strong reputation in the mathematical sciences and impressive alumni connections helped me earn a high-impact internship—and my current position as security engineer—with Elsevier, a world-leading provider of scientific, technical, and medical information products and services.