About The Program
As a French major, you will gain a competitive edge by developing a comprehensive and practical understanding of the French language. You’ll develop an appreciation of the history, culture, and customs of countries in the French-speaking world by working alongside highly qualified professors and by participating in the program’s extensive range of study abroad opportunities.
Our study abroad program is designed for students with varying abilities in French and is located at the University of Montpellier in France. This experience enables students to improve their language skills and broaden their perspectives by immersing themselves in the culture.
- Our French majors gain hands-on experience working closely with their faculty, including presenting a French poem (L’Invitation au voyage) at the inauguration of LVC’s current president, participating in the Mid-Atlantic European Simulation Consortium in Washington, D.C., and helping promote international cultures through the College’s chapter of Phi Sigma Iota.
- This year, French majors have the unique experience of working with a Fulbright Language Teaching Assistant for French.
- Speaking French gives you an advantage in the international job market. It will open doors to many of the world’s largest international companies.
- French is spoken by more than 220 million people in 50 countries and five continents. It is a language of culture, fashion, architecture, and the arts. LVC’s French Program makes it easy to double major or minor in the language.
- French is a transcontinental language and is the official language of NATO, International Red Cross, United Nations, European Union, UNESCO, and International Olympic Committee.
- French majors will receive close, personal attention from LVC faculty, and opportunities to study abroad at the College’s semester-long program in Montpellier, France, or in the summer in Quebec, Canada, through LVC's independent study or Go First! programs.
One of my most memorable experiences was studying abroad through LVC’s program in Montpellier, France, where I spent three months living with a host family, attending a French university, and traveling.