About the Program
As a biology major at LVC, you will combine in-depth study of biology with a breadth of courses in chemistry and physics, all within the context of a liberal arts education. Students benefit from the state-of-the-art Neidig-Garber Science Center’s dedicated research facilities. Courses are oriented toward lab and field experiences, and the use of modern instrumentation.
Recent biology graduates have pursued careers as scientists for such companies as Pfizer, DuPont, and The Hershey Company, while others have gone on to work for the government at NIH, the FDA, the EPA, and the Smithsonian. Many have also attended prestigious medical, veterinary, and dental schools.
- Students can study, biology, biochemistry & molecular biology, or neuroscience, gaining a solid foundation in the principles of these disciplines. Courses are oriented toward lab and field experiences, and the use of modern instrumentation.
- Our Biology Program has a remarkable record of graduate school placement. In the past five years, 45 percent of our graduates have gone on to graduate or professional schools.
- Each faculty member in the Biology Program has a dedicated research laboratory, as well as equipment and instrumentation to carry out advanced experimentation in their discipline.
- The revitalized Neidig-Garber Science Center offers biology students laboratory experiences with a variety of instruments. Proximity to and frequent interaction with the Chemistry and Physics departments provides opportunities for interdisciplinary research, which is excellent preparation for advanced research in graduate or professional school.
- Biology faculty are dedicated teachers and scientists. Their research interests cover a wide range of topics—from mammalian physiology to plant ecology to DNA analysis and the role of T cells in the inflammatory response.
When I look at the neurosurgery faculty at Penn State Hershey, I see that they attended such schools as Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, and the University of Pennsylvania. But the chairman attended Lebanon Valley College.