About The Program
LVC is the only school in central Pennsylvania to offer the communication sciences & disorders (CSD) and speech-language pathology (SLP) program and once we receive our candidacy status for accreditation through the Council on Academic Accreditation, we will be one of only five in the entire state to have a five-year program (4+1) culminating in a master’s degree. The other Pennsylvania programs are six years (4+2). Majors will study and learn in the College's state-of-the-art Heilman Center.
Speech-language pathology majors enroll at LVC as communication sciences & disorders majors. At the end of the third year, qualified students enter the Speech-Language Pathology Program. At the completion of their fourth year, students receive a B.S. in communication sciences & disorders. At the end of their fifth year, graduates receive a master’s in speech-language pathology.
Speech-language pathologists (SLPs) work to prevent, assess, diagnose, and treat speech, language, social communication, cognitive-communication, and swallowing disorders in children and adults.
- At LVC, our CSD and SLP program builds on our highly successful doctor of physical therapy, master of athletic training, and bachelor of exercise science programs.
- LVC’s CSD and SLP program, which welcomed its first capped-enrollment class in fall 2017, educates students to be competent, ethical clinicians able to serve persons with speech-language-hearing disorders.
- At present, the number of applications for graduate-level course work in SLP far exceeds the available openings in graduate schools. However, at LVC, students meeting all course and GPA requirements after their third year are automatically admitted into the graduate-level SLP master’s program.
- The new program will join three highly competitive and in-demand programs of study in the health professions. The Physical Therapy Program boasts 100 percent job offer rates for its graduates as well as more than 90 percent pass rates on the physical therapy board exam.
- A strong and active alumni network ensures that all CSD and SLP graduates will have extensive support during and after program completion. This support includes an extensive network of clinical partnerships where students are prepared to be World-Ready Graduates.
- LVC will pursue American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Accreditation.
- LVC is the only school in central Pennsylvania to offer the CSD/SLP program and one of only five in the entire state to have a five-year program (4+1) culminating in a master’s degree. The other Pennsylvania programs are six-years (4+2).
- The Valley offers a cohort-based CSD/SLP curriculum with a limited number of acceptances each year. This will help build lifelong friendships and professional connections with classmates.