Independent Summer Research Application
Application Schedule and Deadlines:
- Complete applications uploaded in Interfolio by February 3, 2017.
- Selection process occurs during the month of February.
- Awards will be announced by March 15.
- The project should involve a scholarly/research study or creative process/goal.
- Student should have a faculty research advisor and a letter of endorsement accompanying the research proposal.
- If research involves human subjects, project approval from the Institutional Review Board is required. (Consult with your faculty advisor about this process.)
- If the project requires international travel, a copy of the proposal must be sent to Jill Russell, director of the center for global education and chair of the Global Education Committee. The committee will review the proposal for any risks or concerns with the geographic destination.
- Students will submit final report/presentation within three months of the ending date of the project. This report must be submitted to the senior associate dean of academic affairs.
- Students may be invited to present at the College following the grant project.
- The faculty advisor will be responsible for assessing the research experience.
- The student is expected to submit a written summary report at the end of the project and may be expected to make a research presentation after returning to campus.
- The faculty advisor will provide an assessment of the research project and competencies the student developed through the experience. This assessment should be submitted to the senior associate dean of academic affairs.
- Grant recipients will be required to return, in full, any grant award if they do not complete the research project as outlined in their proposal.
The Application Packet will include the following:
- Cover Sheet
- Independent Research Proposal Form
- Faculty Advisor Recommendation
- Institutional Review Board Approval, if appropriate
- Budget Request Form - funding in the range of $500 to $3,000 can be requested for a summer project. All reasonable costs needed to carry out a successful project can be included in the budget.
- If destination is outside the continental U.S., a copy of the proposal must be sent to Jill Russell, director of global education.
Finalists for the Independent Student Summer Research grants may be asked to interview with the selection committee.